Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Big pot early in 5k mixed holdem

100-200 NL level and i have 39k to start the hand. Minh yao ming makes it 600 (24k behind) from mp and i sc the button with A2ss.

flop is KsQs6h

Ly checks I bet 1100
Ly raises to 4100

What action should i take and why?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Big pot early in 5k mixed holdem

i think i like just calling, you have deep stacks and position, also i dont think u have much fold equity if u reraise and if u get all in you would certainly be risking to much since ur behind his range (obv)
Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 AM

I don't see the point in calling a raise from a good player with A2.

Not sure what to do here. I probably would just push. If he has a good made hand, you are behind. He could have a lower flush draw without a pair or a straight draw, in which case you are in great shape if he calls, which he probably can't. And there is some chance he is bluffing. He may also lay down 2nd pair or something, not sure you are on a draw.

If you flat call and miss, you probably have to fold to a reasonably large bet on the turn. You could push or call to small bet. Presumably if he checks the turn, you check behind.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point in calling a raise from a good player with A2.

Not sure what to do here. I probably would just push. If he has a good made hand, you are behind. He could have a lower flush draw without a pair or a straight draw, in which case you are in great shape if he calls, which he probably can't. And there is some chance he is bluffing. He may also lay down 2nd pair or something, not sure you are on a draw.

If you flat call and miss, you probably have to fold to a reasonably large bet on the turn. You could push or call to small bet. Presumably if he checks the turn, you check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suited Ace, Position, >100bb blinds. Even the best players can't neccessarily play profitably vs hero OOP if hero has some degree of floatiness/bluffing to him. Plus its a donkament so 600 chips means nothing and he's all about securing the bigger gigablock so marginally -cev calls preflop that can pay huge dividends =GAMBOOOOOOL.

translation:
stop being a nit betgo.

edit: i call in this hand and hope to nut up on turn or fold to his big bet, but might bluff turn depending on villains action and my sick live reads.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:57 AM

Check the flop.

Now either fold or call, I almost always call here but I don't know if it's good or not. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check the flop.

Now either fold or call, I almost always call here but I don't know if it's good or not. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, I was going to suggest folding to the raise is possible too. Pushing, folding, and calling are kind of close.

I think the push is playable. It looks like what it is, but you are 45% against KJ and 35% against KQ. A lot of times villain has a weak pair, weak draw, or bluff, and can't call. If you push, you often have a huge flip for most of your chips, so if you don't want that, pushing may not be best, but it seems OK in chip EV. Also, depends on whether you read villain to be strong.

Gobbo is probably right, the check behind is probably better. A good player probably cbets this flop if he misses, so this is not the best chance to try to take the pot. However, a lot of times villain folds or calls to the bet. The raise is of course the worst case.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Pushing is SO BAD here. And after talking it over with stealthmunk, betting is probably right because his hand usually is such a monster here.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM

is this a live thing? I don't see people raise pf and then checkraise often, but when I do I'm not likely going to give them much credit, and I think this is probably a shove online
Old 06-02-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, I was going to suggest folding to the raise is possible too. Pushing, folding, and calling are kind of close.

I think the push is playable. It looks like what it is, but you are 45% against KJ and 35% against KQ. A lot of times villain has a weak pair, weak draw, or bluff, and can't call. If you push, you often have a huge flip for most of your chips, so if you don't want that, pushing may not be best, but it seems OK in chip EV. Also, depends on whether you read villain to be strong.

Gobbo is probably right, the check behind is probably better. A good player probably cbets this flop if he misses, so this is not the best chance to try to take the pot. However, a lot of times villain folds or calls to the bet. The raise is of course the worst case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking that would makeup less than <10% his range, and thats a very generous estimate.

Its a cold call, and reevaluate. If you are sure guys full of [censored] on turn u can jam it then, or just hit the nuts. You should also be playing your flopped sets this way too obv.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:39 PM

I think the flop is a very easy bet. People checking are being results oriented. Villain's range will be 33-jj and no pair enough of the time here that betting is fine. Not to mention you are 100bbs deep and want to build a pot so you can win a big pot when you hit. Once I get c/r I probably call. Pushing is a massive spew. His range when he c/r is pretty huge. Its probably something like KK/QQ/22/KQ maybe AA or AK big combo draws and than complete air is in there also. I'm not folding because I think you will get paid off enough when you hit and are getting 2:1 so I call.