Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Which under 25\'s will stand the test of time?

We were talking a bit about this last night on Rounders, The Poker Show after we had Jon Little on and wondered what those of you who know the young players better thought on the subject.

The question was which of the current crop of under 25y.o MTT winners will still be making WPT and WSOP final tables on a regular basis 10 years from now and which will fade away for various reasons. For example, if there was a pool and you could draft a name or two in the first round to 'stand the test of time' and become the next decades Ivey, Juanda and Cunningham's who would it be.

Madsen, Little, Obrestad, Froelich, Bonomo, Daneshgar, Schulman, Turner, Morgan, Ambrose, Billirakis, Cassidy, Shorr a few obvious names to consider. The topic came up because I thought Little might be one to stick around based on his demeanor at and away from the table but who would you pick and why?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Which under 25\'s will stand the test of time?

err Missi...obv zeejustin.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM

I think you're way off on your picks. Those people you chose probably won't even being playing 10 yrs. from now.

You haven't considered alot of people at the beginning of their careers:

Deeb, Rasmussen, Junglen, Fricke

I could come up with more, but that's just off the top of my head.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 AM

A lot of the names you threw out there are primarily internet players, and the stigma of being the next "Ivey" or "Cunningham" generally comes with WSOP success and marketability. A lot of these players will not be touring the 10k tournaments ten years from now, and be more recreational players during the WSOP.

The players who stick through with it are those who are more generally known for their lives in the live, gambling environment. Examples would be Nick Schulman and Joe Cassidy.

But really, in these large fields these days the next "big pro" isnt as likely to happen. The veteran guard of the current stash of PS and FT pros will continue to lead the forefront of poker, in the same authoritarian sense as a commisioner does in major league sports.

For anyone to join this elite club would require a significant amount of marketability in the United States and a successful run in tournaments over an extended period of time. Some of the names you listed are players of moderate NLHE tournament skill who went on a heater over a few months and are now supposed to be "names" when in reality they are top tier players in a tier occupied by armies of the unknown, and they picked a good time to run good for marketability sense.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM

The two guys caught multitabling, Annette, Gobbo, and Ansky are obviously very strong players. There are many others I am leaving out. Also, some of the young online high stakes cash players are already extremely strong players, and are generally better players than the tournament players. Some of the players who are well known for winning a big tournament or having a big WSOP may or may not be pros or top pros 10 years from now. The really strong players will always be strong players.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 AM

well i am pretty sure that we will see a lot more of deeb junglen fricke annette or other famous internet players
i think that eric froehlich is a fluke and so is jeff madsen
i am not saying that they are not good poker players (otherwise they wouldnt have won a tourney) but they are not even close to the best
still i dont think that its impossible for them to finaltable a mayor tourney again but they will need to run damn good
Old 11-05-2007, 10:32 AM

With the likes of Durrr, Jman, Annette and ZeeJustin (just banging out two names of each discipline off the top of my head) the question is not whether they "can" still be killing poker at the highest levels in ten years time - it is whether they will want to.

Given the winrate of some young players, if they invest it sensibly now they will probably not "have" to play poker or do any form of work within a few years. If they still want to play poker - they will still win at it.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 AM

I think this is way more a question of durability, motivation, and perseverance than just talent.

I can think of a number of really talented players in the 2p2 arena who there is almost no chance will be a serious force 10 years from now because they'll move on to other things with their ability. For many, poker is not a career choice.

Meanwhile there's a few around here i'd think have the drive and talent to stick it out: Deeb, Thayer, Sirwatts, ActionJeff, Gobboboy, and myself seem like safe bets. I know i ain't got [censored] to do.

I don't think the others will fail so much as they'll branch out to other stuff. There's very very few guys around here i think would fail if they went full on.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The players who stick through with it are those who are more generally known for their lives in the live, gambling environment. Examples would be Nick Schulman and Joe Cassidy

[/ QUOTE ]

this answer really nails it
Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM

It's really hard to say because who knows where the game will be in ten years, will it even be possible to make WPT FTs on a regular basis in 10 years?; but there are a few young 2p2 pros I know will play poker for the rest of their lives, and of them a select few I know will be winning players no matter how tough the games get because theyll push themselves to be ahead of the curve, mainly some of the players mentioned above.

Junglen is one, though I figure if he were to reply to this thread it would be something like:

[ QUOTE ]

which of the current crop of under 25y.o MTT winners will still be making WPT and WSOP final tables on a regular basis 10 years from now

[/ QUOTE ]
Junglen: I'm going to play and dominate for as long as I live... so, no.