Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Is this a string bet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dealer calls a string bet. Legit or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. <font color="red">Dealers can't call string bets.</font> Only players in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">Wrong.</font>

Poker Tournament Directors Association:

<font color="blue">Rule #39:String Raises. Dealers will be responsible for calling string raises.</font>

TDA Web Site

And...

According to Robert's Rules of Poker:

String raises are not allowed. <font color="blue">The dealer should enforce obvious infractions to this string-raise law without being asked.</font> To protect your right to raise, you should either declare your intention verbally or place the proper amount of chips into the pot. Putting a full bet plus a half-bet or more into the pot is considered to be the same as announcing a raise, and the raise must be completed. (This does not apply in the use of a single chip of greater value.)

Robert's Rules of Poker

And, yes it will vary from location to location- but most dealers (that I've sat at tables with) call string bets. The reason- if a player is forced to call a string bet it can convey weakness in your hand. If your hand is strong you want as much money in the pot.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Dealers not calling string bets is very standard in the places that spread bigger games. The TDA change this spring was very surprising but it has nothing to do with cash games. Robert thinks it should be "no string bets allowed," but this is one of the few spots he is out of step with the actual rules.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The TDA change this spring was very surprising but it has nothing to do with cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I referenced the TDA rule to show that, across the board- in both Cash &amp; Tourney games, Dealers are suppose to call string bets.

Which, I think is fair. But then again- my opinion rarely matters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The TDA change this spring was very surprising but it has nothing to do with cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I referenced the TDA rule to show that, across the board- in both Cash &amp; Tourney games, Dealers are suppose to call string bets.

Which, I think is fair. But then again- my opinion rarely matters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I would say not calling string bets is the more common rule (it is that way in all the card barns).

They do call string bets in out of the way places like Las Vegas [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
This might be a good place to mention that I hear all the time "they do it that way in Vegas." I would say at least 80% of the people working in poker in Vegas are clueless.

edit to add: As you go up in limits the argument for the dealer staying out of it goes up. At the higher limits it is much more likely for the players to understand what is or isn't a string bet than the dealers.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Tell Junior to grow up, stop watching TV pokah, and play Poker.

My vote is for string bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an old guy with trouble handling chips. I don't know if that should make a difference.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 PM

What constitutes a string bet and what's overlooked by the room and who is supposed to call it varies WIDELY. TDA and Robert's aren't law, they're attempts to standardize. If this is something that concerns you, check with the floor staff before playing.

The OP is a little vague, but it sounds like in our room, most wouldn't call it a string bet. However, it's up to the players to declare it. Were I the dealer, I'd call the floor over, because technically in our room even if it's one hand and released in two motions (no matter how quick), it can be considered a string bet, but I've never seen anybody call that one.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And, yes it will vary from location to location- but most dealers (that I've sat at tables with) call string bets. The reason- if a player is forced to call a string bet it can convey weakness in your hand. If your hand is strong you want as much money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer doesn't know how strong your hand is. If I have quads on the river, and my opponent makes a very large bet that's clearly a string bet, I don't want the dealer to say anything. This has happened before and I was very unhappy. It's not protecting me to interfere in my hand.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer doesn't know how strong your hand is. If I have quads on the river, and my opponent makes a very large bet that's clearly a string bet, I don't want the dealer to say anything. This has happened before and I was very unhappy. It's not protecting me to interfere in my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but by the same token if you are bluffing the turn and the dealer doesn't call it you don't want to make a stink yourself and reveal how weak you are if you wanted to throw another bluff out on the river, so having the dealer enforce the rules would be helpful in this case no?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Letting the players call it removes the dealer from having too much influence on the game. I can certainly imagine the headache at my room if I made judgment calls, considering that technically a lot of string betting happens every hand. I'm there to keep the game going smoothly for the players. Usually it's minor and not any sort of angle-shoot (whereas calling a string bet often is), and it's a lot easier to let the game move along smoothly. If a player in the hand has issue with it, s/he says something, and I deal with it.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM

As added information, the dude who made the bet was easily 70 years old and did everything a little slowly. He brought 2 handfulls of red chips forward and released one hand before the other. Dealer immediatley called a string bet and was adamaent that he was correct. Most of the table was a little stunned at the dealer but nobody seemed too upset.

OP-I'm pretty sure I was sitting on your right most of the afternoon. I tried to take the 8 seat when you moved over. Tough day yesterday. Your last hand was beyond sick. I also folded 2 spades when the 6 seat ck-pushed the flop and hit his spade flush on you.