Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Default 5/10 Limit - Live

Disagreed with someone over flop action, but I'm a beginner so what do I know.

I limp A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG. CO, button and BB see the flop of T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks. Hero bets but friend says I should check. Here were my reasons for betting and hopefully someone can tell me if I'm right/wrong.
1. I might get a high only hand that only partially hit the flop (like KQJT) to fold and maybe I can push my eights into the lead.
2. A tighter player 'might' fold A2 if he has nothing to go with it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Limit - Live

Yeah, you have pretty much been been spending too much time celebrating poultry days.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 PM

I would check/fold. Many things have to go right for this bet to work - any A2 would have to be folded (which is unlikely, IMO), and you have to dodge the probability of getting counterfeited with an A or 3 on the turn or river, and you could possibly get quartered by another A3. The eights are unlikely to be ahead for hi, even if you fold out someone with top pair, since random two pairs happen all the time in this game. So yea, check/fold for me.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 PM

It'll depend on how the table is playing and who's in the hand. If nobody is going to fold as a result of your bet then it's best to check and either call or fold, depending.

However, if you don't suspect much strength, and if you feel that there's a reasonable chance that you may get a hand to fold that you'd like to see fold, then betting out certainly has it's merits.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 AM

To elaborate on my original reply, I cannot imagine an A2 folding in a live game at this limit.

If you A3 is best, great. If a 2 hits the board, even better.

I cannot imagine your 8s being ahead - unless 1 or 2 more hit the board.

With 4 of you in the hand, maybe you want to play your A3 to the river - I would likely fold.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 AM

People just don't play like this. Nobody ever folds a nut low draw, especially for 1 bet.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 AM

remember your O8 rule of thumb, especially in a low-limit, live game: if you aren't drawing to the nuts, get out. I wouldn't donate a bet to this pot, I'd check and hope it checked out so I could hit some kind of 2-3 outer.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM

betting here is like setting money on fire.

KQJT isn't folding. he would have top pair plus nine outs that make him top two pair + an open ended straight draw.

A2 isn't folding, and would likely call two cold. A2 is NEVER folding for one bet here, NEVER EVER.

in this spot I'd usually check call one bet if I was the only caller, but if it went bet, call, I'd fold.