Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 AM

Default General KK on A high flop question.

One situation I'm always unsure of is when I put in a re-raise in position preflop with a big pair and get called by the initial raiser and the flop comes A high.

Using a Pokerstars example, in a $20 MTT where the effective stacks are 1500 at 25/50 and I re-raised to 500 preflop. I now have a pot sized bet behind, and when I'm checked to, I usually just bet about 600 with the intention of calling a push. I know this is bad, but I really don't know what else to do.

My reasoning is usually, that I should make this bet because it looks stronger than a push, and because sometimes weak aces will fold. I always fear checking behind, because I think it just encourages villain to take a shot at me with any two, and I'm folding the best hand a lot of the time.

I know that my goal here should be to keep the pot tiny, but I just don't ever know what line to take to make that happen.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:39 AM

Default Re: General KK on A high flop question.

I would fire a bet out of position here and see how the preflop caller reacts to that. As you said many times some weaker aces will go away.

Since you are checked to in the position, I think checking could be one of the options except in the example you only have one PSB left. I will push a lot of time.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:45 AM

I usually check behind and call any turn push.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 AM

if you think you will only get called by Ax or better on the flop, then just just check. it may induce a bet from QQ.

if you think that a flop push looks kinda weak and will get called by TT/JJ/QQ, push.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:07 AM

In pos and out of pos I play them completely different.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:23 AM

Depends on the number of callers IMO. More than two callers I'll check and let the hand go against any substancial bet. Depending on stack sizes and my reads I will fire a 2/3 bet on A high flop with 2 callers, and consider the hand dead if I get any callers. If any player makes a substancial bet with A high flop I will let it go if not reads or stacks tell me otherwise.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:30 AM

First off - I don't think anyone at pretty much any buyin level is folding Ax on an A high flop after putting in a third of their stack preflop - I guess it might happen sometimes but it would be pretty awful.

Secondly with only one PSB left heading to the flop it is really not an issue of keeping the pot small - even in position if you are beat and aren't folding you are generally getting stacked here.

I also think just giving up is generally too weak so it comes down to how to get worse hands to continue to put money in the pot. Generally I think checking behind here and trying to get the money in on the turn is the way to go here. On draw heavy/high card heavy flops like AQ9 w/a two flush or AQT rainbow I will often bet out because a lot of draws that I beat will want to play that flop even with the A out there. On a flop like A73 rainbow I would check behind because most players will put chips in on the turn with hands like QQ-99 here while they are likely to fold to a flop c-bet.

I guess my point is that the uglier the flop is the more likely I am to bet/call or push (I kinda like pushing better) whereas if the flop is relatively dry I prefer the check behind.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In pos and out of pos I play them completely different.

[/ QUOTE ]

The intent of my thread was when you are in position, but actually both are imporant to think about. When I'm out of position, I guess I'm going to have to lead much more of the time, whereas in position, I could certainly check behind on the flop.