Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Default DEEPSTACKED with nuts Theory Question

wanted to hear some opinions on some deep-stack PLO situations ive been thinkin about.

assume opponent is normal TAG/solid/abc player and game is an avg 6max game.

assume 500bb deep.

you raise from button, called by BB.

Flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, you pot it, BB checkraises pot.

I assume everyone repots it with QK + nut flush draw, QK + set, probably top set + nut flush draw.

How do you play the following hands?

1. Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

2. Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

3. Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

4. Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

5. Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

6. 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

7. Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Also, general turn plays assuming BB pots the turn?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: DEEPSTACKED with nuts Theory Question

hand 2 i felt, hand 6 i fold - all the rest i would be calling and using my position to try and take the pot cleanly on the turn

possibly a more interesting proposition would be how do you play these hands from the BB??
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Call with AFC and pot a paired board turn card.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM

This deep, felting hand 2 would be crazy, huge leak. Raising again might be viable if BB is a donk who will felt lower straights and/or get it all-in on the flop this deep with just the naked nut straight, but mostly you'll be putting your money in relatively bad.

The rest of them are a call, apart from 6. 7 is a very interesting question, I would think you ought to just call here a lot.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This deep, felting hand 2 would be crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i have to say my response is mostly hypothetical as i can count on the fingers of 1 hand how many times i have played this deep - how high would you want a flush redraw to make this an automatic felt?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 PM

The problem is that if villain also has the nut straight then he has KQ. Since you have a non-heart K and Q, the chances that he has at least one heart among his KQ is 5/9. Overall, based on random cards that include a KQ he has at least a 30% chance of holding a better flush. But villain has also clearly said that he really likes his hand, so the chances that he has KQ with hearts goes up quite a bit more (how much depends on the player).

With shallower stacks this doesn't matter too much because the dead money in the pot compensates. However, as you get deeper, the dead money becomes an increasingly minor factor.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 PM

I call with all those hands.

If the turn is a blank and he pots it again, I call with all the QK hands and fold the others. If it is not a blank it really depends, I suppose I am folding most of them if I haven't improved.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:06 PM

which of those hands would you most like to be sitting with in that situation? i am quite new to this game and i would expect answer to be 5 followed by 7 then 3, can you help me here please
Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM

2 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 1

None of them are strong enough to gleefully put in 500BBs against a solid player. Although, 2 is kind of close.

6 usually goes in the insta-muck but the implied odds if a 6h (and probably a Jh) comes on the turn are potentially tremendous. Except, it's far from obvious that you'll get his stack if you hit.

7 is by far the most interesting and is definitely a call.

Far too many possibilities to comment on turn/river play.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM

I had an interesting hand live at th wsop this year where a guy got it AI for 300bb or so? with the nuts and a bad FD and ended up having about 14% equity threeways.