Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 02:56 PM

Default NL400 Reverse float turns into weird spot on river

Villain here is IglooKing, a solid winning TAG who I have at 16/13 over a few thousand hands. Hes usually pretty solid but is capable of a few moves here and there. We have a little history which includes some 3 betting here and there but nothing too major. We occasionally get in blind battles and he seems to like to float a lot in those. Ive been a little laggier than usual today running like 19/16.

Poker Stars, $2/$4 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $745.80
UTG+1: $68
MP1: $384
MP2: $379.85
CO: $215.90
BTN: $998
Hero (SB): $396
BB: $400

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
6 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $16</font>, BB calls $12

Flop: ($32) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $60</font>, Hero calls $40

Congrats on repping absolutely nothing, I can pretty easily rep a big A and call and he should give up on most turns since this flop hit a very small part of his range.

Turn: ($152) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks

Planned on c/r just about every turn including this one but he checks behind. I plan on leading a lot of rivers and repping AK/AQ

River: ($152) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero
Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: NL400 Reverse float turns into weird spot on river

block bet
Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Fold preflop to avoid this mess? It seems Iglooking would have 3bet AK/AQ/AJ, AT is probably in his range along with maybe Axs. He'd probably bet the turn if he had KQ. If you check I don't think he'll bet Ax. Doesn't seem like he'll fold the hands that beat you, but I don't know this opponent. I wouldn't bluff the river here, but some call me a p**sy
Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM

lol at folding preflop
Old 10-09-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop to avoid this mess? It seems Iglooking would have 3bet AK/AQ/AJ, AT is probably in his range along with maybe Axs. He'd probably bet the turn if he had KQ. If you check I don't think he'll bet Ax. Doesn't seem like he'll fold the hands that beat you, but I don't know this opponent. I wouldn't bluff the river here, but some call me a p**sy

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding preflop is major spew, GM is stealing here with a huge range, QJ isn't anywhere close to borderline. Betting the river isn't necessarily a bluff since villain should be aware that GM is a tricky player who shows up with air sometimes.

GM, I tend to b/f this kind of spot, ideally with a bet just large enough that I might bet that amount with broadway. Maybe $75 to $100? This really is an ugly spot for it, but I do like it better than check/call as we occasionally squeeze value out of Ax, and occasionally (though I doubt vs this opponent) fold out a KJ type hand. Plus a bet makes you a little trickier to play against and makes it easier for you to get paid off with your bigger hands in the future.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
block bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this one. I like it a lot but given the two players, I'm sure the block bet can be identified by villain quite easily here. And it would terrible if he shoves into it with no T [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Block bet could also be to induce action so he might not raise. I think GM prob uses bets like that so if he has been tricky at all with him he could make it look like an absolutely obvious blocking bet and IGLOO might read it as trying to induce action
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM

Is he capable of shoving over your river bet on a bluff? It's pretty tough for you to rep a ten here, so any bet you make just looks like two pair trying to get value.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop to avoid this mess?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I love these replies. Lets not play poker and avoid the stress period! Poker can be a messy game.

Anyway, I thought about it some more, I think a standard bet/ fold would be fine. I'm assuming a block bet would be kinda small...that's why I disagree with it.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Block bet could also be to induce action so he might not raise. I think GM prob uses bets like that so if he has been tricky at all with him he could make it look like an absolutely obvious blocking bet and IGLOO might read it as trying to induce action

[/ QUOTE ]

Most defintely. That block bet can induce action, but again that has to be taken into consideration prior to making the block bet. You basically have to plan it out.

"if I block bet, this villain is good enough to know im blockin betting so, I'm going to blockbet/shove in case he thinks i'm weak"

Sorry if I'm blabbering. If this is the thought process, I totally agree with block betting, but if not, I disagree.