Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: How did you do it? Financial Success Thread

You're no one if you're not rich before you hit puberty.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 PM

Great thread - amazing motivation to take the leap and go for what you want. Can't wait to get started right now. Thanks to all those who shared their stories.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:45 PM

On a side note - I always spend most of my free time playing poker thinking it's the most +ev thing to do with my time (plus I enjoy it). It's hard to rationalize a big investment in your time when it won't pay off until the long term, when your opportunity cost is those immediate couple of buyins you'd get by just playing poker instead. But this thread has really opened my eyes to realize that investing my time now on a potential opportunity can pay off so much larger than making a few buyins in the immediate timeframe. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM

MissT,

can you elaborate what kinds of tasks are involved in your billing service and how many hours you spend each week working at it (currently) and any other anecdotes or anything?

Also, congratulations! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Great story MissT, your story reminds me a lot of my Mom. Congrats on finally being able to say "I did it".
Old 05-30-2007, 12:16 PM

I just made a lot of money playin online poker, very interesting I know.

It is nice to laugh at my friends who made fun of me for droppin out of school to "gamble" now that im makin 10x more money than they ever will.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just made a lot of money playin online poker, very interesting I know.

It is nice to laugh at my friends who made fun of me for droppin out of school to "gamble" now that im makin 10x more money than they ever will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Solid story. Thank you very much.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good posts guys. I especially liked the post about adjusting to the wealth and the point about dealing with people who work on commission is one i am learning the hard way.

[ QUOTE ]
I also learned that I was born in the wrong decade because if I was born a decade earlier, I would be chilling with the dotcom boom, the real estate boom, the poker boom, the web2.0 boom, and the foreclosure boom. The only thing that I have going for me is the SlowHabit boom. Hopefully, you'll be hearing from my friends [and virtual buddies] how they managed to miss out on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I would like to add is that there is always another boom. Yes, most of us (young guys) missed out on dotcom boom. I missed out on RE boom as well because I didn't have the money or more importantly the time to make a big splash.

I hear people say things all the time like "I wish I had been playing online poker when the boom started." Or "I wish I had been trading when it was much easier 15 years ago." I generally find that people who say things like this are not the type of people who WOULD have been "in" on the booms at the beginning. It's true, it's always (relatively) easy to make absurd amounts of cash at the beginning of a boom time. It is NOT easy to identify what the boom will be and develop the system to profit from it because at the beginning no one else has ever done it.

What I have learned from this concept is you need to be thinking to the next boom. If you, as an average American (or whatever), are aware that a boom is happening, it is 99% of the time too late to do much about it.

Challenge yourself to think "what's next?" If you can predict with even a remote degree of accuracy what the next big thing will be, you will make far more money than the guy who waits to learn about some "system" from someone who has already done it and then complains his whole life about how it just isn't as easy as people say. Well, yeah, it isn't anymore, because everyone else knows about it now.

I don't know, just a little rant/something i've been thinking about lately.

Please keep these coming, I am really enjoying this stuff.

El D, you're up!

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I just found this thread and I was wondering, you telling me poker can't be profitable anymore. I mean, not like people who started some years ago and made loads of money. Or that the stock markets aren't as profitable anymore ?? I mean, there is still huge amounts of cash to be made, right ?? I doesn't just stop or am I totally wrong here ??

Greets, Kilay
Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Not to be a dick, but you should really reread tc's posts a few times if that's what you understood from them.

I really don't want to paraphrase because I think he said it pretty eloquently, but basically: think forward, not backward. And just because the "easy money" has dried up doesn't mean that you should give up on your dreams.

That said, IMHO, you gotta be pretty [censored] talented to make "huge amounts of cash" through online poker these days.

It sounds like even tc pulls way more from his side business than cards. Cards are small stakes yo.