Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Thinnish River VB vs Solid Reg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't like it, checking behind seems so much better. How do we honestly expect to get extra value here.

[/ QUOTE ]

88,99,TT,76,78,

-will someone saying check behind also try to put him on something that beats us?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to put us on complete air a good percentage of the time to call with those hands. You do bring up a good point about what hands are we losing to though... he could be playing a strong hand tricky though.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think TT or 78s is going to call enough, but like you said there are some hands he will CR with. And also some hands he will just call with that beat you. You have effectively turned your hand into a bluff on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
My point is that my perceived range should be close to nuts or air, so QQ damn near equals 88. I am going to keep thinking about this as the responses are pretty much all negative. Thank you for the response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about the responses, some people are haters on this board. What should be constructive criticism often comes off sounding as insults from certain ppl.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM

At first I was thinking this is a clear bluff, too. But then I was thinking about his range a little more.

Unless he rivered 2 pair, there are almost no Aces or Kings in his range. The big exception is AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. But if he was going for a CR on the turn with AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he's probably not going to let the river check thru. And in the case of something like A7, he's again not going to let the river check thru. So the only hand we are really bluffing here is QQ. Other likely holdings are TT, 99, 88, 76s, 87s. If he's going to call with QQ, he's also about as likely to call with any of the other hands too.

So now I think this is a good VB. All but 1 of the hands we're behind bet either the turn or river, and there are more of the other hands that we beat than beat us.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 PM

AK should check the river, as should AA/KK/boat. Pretty much any hand that hero will call with will VB anyways.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think TT or 78s is going to call enough

[/ QUOTE ]

What is "often enough?"
Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 PM

this is a bluff for sure. betting the turn for value is legit though.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK should check the river, as should AA/KK/boat. Pretty much any hand that hero will call with will VB anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying that a boat (for example) should check the river ahead because Hero will bluff it more often that he will check behind with say Ace-rag?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 PM

I know what your thoughts are and still not a thin value bet. It's a losing bet or bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a 26/22 solid regular. We have both been doing a lot of 3-betting so far this session. We both have been calling pretty light in position.

$1500 Eff Stacks
5/10NL (6-handed)

Pre-flop: Hero is CO w/ J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Folds to hero who opens for $35, SB raises to $125, Hero calls $90

Flop ($260): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets $205, Villain calls $205

Turn ($670): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks

River ($670): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets $425...

Comments on all streets appreciated.

If you like the river, would you do the same w/ TT?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-06-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying that a boat (for example) should check the river ahead because Hero will bluff it more often that he will check behind with say Ace-rag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any hand that I would call with I would VB anyway, plus then I can bluff. Valid point, Isura. I still have a very hard time believing villain shows up with AK here ever. I may have discounted AA or KK too much, though.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any hand that I would call with I would VB anyway, plus then I can bluff. Valid point, Isura. I still have a very hard time believing villain shows up with AK here ever. I may have discounted AA or KK too much, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

on this board development, I dont think this is entirely true. Hands that you can check-call against here are hands that may bluff this board but may not call because of board development, like 55 or 54. 99 may call i guess..., but the FD msised as well making another argument for C/C .

Still... C/f anyone?