Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Default If everything is reletave, how is eternal suffering/happiness possable

This thread is not for the discussion of wether there is/can be a heaven or hell.

So after 100,000,000 years of having my toenail pulled out, I'm not going to be that bothered by it any more am I?

Everything is relative, so for me to endure eternal suffering it has to increase, right? Same goes for eternal happiness. The only reason I can experiance pain or joy now, is by a process of comparing my current state to my average state, right?

Now the only way I can see it is if I were to become a god. Let me briefly explain.

I could experiance a continued, but not eternal, state of any emotion right now. At some point, the stimuli I was recieving in ever increasing doses to attain the perpetual state of feeling would reach maximum. That is to say, the maximum my body/mind is capable of dealing with. The only way to continue this increase in stimuli would be to increase the ways I was capable of recieving it. An eternal time frame means an infinate upgrade in my sensory devices, no?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: If everything is reletave, how is eternal suffering/happiness possable

[ QUOTE ]
The only way to continue this increase in stimuli would be to increase the ways I was capable of recieving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

God could just reset your tolerance level on a regular basis.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: If everything is reletave, how is eternal suffering/happiness possable

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only way to continue this increase in stimuli would be to increase the ways I was capable of recieving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or skip the stimuli and just maintain the emotional state directly.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But after time wouldn't my suffering assymptotically decrease as my tollerance was reduced to zero?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, wouldn't I get used to it?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, wouldn't I get used to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the idea is that assuming god can give you eternal happiness, he could just make circumvent that "get used to it" part of the brain.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: If everything is reletave, how is eternal suffering/happiness poss

I think heaven is more problematic tbh... if you're disembodied then how do you be, since we exist through our senses? If you're embodied, then necessarily your body will decay unless it is constantly and magically reset to a certain cell condition, and that would by necessity reset your brain also... it seems like being who you are at any given moment and being the age / health state / physical condition you are at that same exact moment can be separated qualitatively but that needs to be argued for, you can fairly claim that existence (god or not) is just a flux and every state is only self-identical in theory... you are only you by virtue of being in your (slowly dying) body, and only by virtue of the coming into and going out of being that is life are you able to gain any sense of identity... this idea that "I" is some atomic thing, that you have a "self" independent of every single physical, finite contingency that exists in every single moment, that is a large assumption to make and in my philosophical opinion one that cannot hold up to scrutiny. Of course plenty of things about eternal life / afterlife don't hold up to philosophical scrutiny... the easy way out (and tbh the only way out remotely resembling any kind of "intellectual honesty" if such a thing can be said to exist at all where religion is concerned) is to say "it's the miracle of faith; it cannot be explained rationally, you just have to accept it" which is one answer, but in my opinion a very bad answer, the best among worse answers that try to break down pseudo-scientifically and pseudo-philosophically the exact processes involved in life after death, etc.

Sorry for this awful formatting...