Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 AM

Default are name pros better than all the internet wiz kids

This is sooooooo puzzling to me. Why would a guy like hellmuth or negreanu be better than todays pros. They know nothing that you guys dont know. Is it all hype? Do they get crazy action from guys wanting to bust them? I mean hellmuth wins his 11th bracelet in a 2500 person field this year, so you know hes an absolute beast. You dont "luckily" win a 2500 person event at the wsop. These are fields of at very least 75% pros i assume, (obv mostly internet, all playing their A game. Please, anyone whos played with "bigname" pros tell me what they played like. Were you impressed by anything they did? Or did they do nothing different than any other internet pro would do? If u didnt know them would you walk away from the table saying "wow i played with an absolute beast today", or would they not stand out from the other great online pros. Please answer, im so curious.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: are name pros better than all the internet wiz kids

[ QUOTE ]
You dont "luckily" win a 2500 person event at the wsop. These are fields of at very least 75% pros i assume

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have to say is lol.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 AM

level
Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM

I played in the Aussie Millions this year. Gavin Smiths button was my bb and Brandon Schaefer was sittin one seat to my right. Nenad Medic joined later.
I wasn´t impressed py Gavin at all. I think one reason for this is he was still drunk from the days before. (Eric Lindgren wo is a good friennd of Gavin just won the 100K event so there propably was some heavy party action)
He called quite alot and I think he was way to passive in this tournamet. Brandon Schaefer did quite well with just playing solid ABC Poker, very good but not impressive.
The guy who really impressed my was Nenad Medic who seemed to knew if I had the goods or if I was bluffing like 95% of the time. And I think thats the main difference between Internetpros and famous live players: The abillity of spotting tells.

Ps: Sorry for not prove reading... and after all im just a stupid german [censored]
Old 08-20-2007, 03:43 PM

yep, if he picked up your game then he must be a whiz
Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yep, if he picked up your game then he must be a whiz

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. If you put any stock in Barry Greenstein's opinion, he thinks Medic is one of the best players in the world.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM

ty for replying im just a .25/.50 donk player who plays for fun, and to see if i can make a few extra bucks here and there, so i appreciate you big guns replying, but they only show a few hands on tv shows, so we never get to see the true skill level of the players so i was just very vcurious how good they really were. also when i assumed 75 percent pro type or at least higher limit type players, i was assuming mostly online players obv. Do people still enter these events, like buissnessmen types who nave absolutley no idea how to play? like dont even know a pair over pair is 4-1 types? didtn think ppl like that still existed. Assumed everyone was at least solid and knew all the percentages etc.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 PM

There have been plenty buissness man and weak tight nits in the tourney. I think there are like 25%-30% pros in this fields today, wich doesn´t mean that they are all worldclass.

And by the way lol at me being a big gun, just got lucky in a satelite, mostly I play lowstakes, too.

And Nenad is one of the best players in the world for sure, he´s doing quite well in the big game at ftp from what i´ve seen. Also he was the only guy at the table who really had me figured out. Brandon and Gavin also made some good calls against me but Nenad was by far the best player at the table.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 PM

Internet poker stars are making a huge come out. They are placing in major tournaments everywhere. I wonder what its like not to have the ding when it's your turn though...hahaha