Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Tell us about your job

What do you do: I work in Public Accounting.

Do you like it: There are days I really enjoy what I am doing. Unfortunately, there are 3 times as many days where I want to shoot myself in the head.

What makes me well suited for this job: You have to have thick skin. You have to be able to work well in a team and think quickly and you need good managing skills, as you have to manage people below and above you. Fortunately, I have all of this, IMO.

What kind of people do best: See above. Also, if you can't follow simple directions, you won't succeed. You'd be surprised how many people can't follow directions.

What is a typical day like: There are 2 distinct "seasons". Busy season, and the rest of the year. Regardless, I get in between 8:15 and 8:30. Take a 25 - 30 minute lunch on a typical day during busy season. I might take a bit longer if I'm not swamped. By lunchtime, I will have had 2-3 requests from a manager asking for something in the next couple of hours. So I do that for them. Then after lunch I start on my work, until the person below you needs help. Then I go back to my work and all of the sudden it's 5:30 and you client is leaving. You look at the clock and think about where to order dinner from. A typical day during busy season ends anywhere between 7:30 and 11 normally. A typical day during the rest of the year ends between 6 - 8, with more emphasis on the 6.

Elation/Frustration: Elation is finishing and having your client file their finacial statments. Frustration is that you won't get any recognition for working 60+ hours 12-16 weeks in a row.

Money: First year out of college starts in the low $50's. This goes up yearly by 7-10%. If you can handle the business for 15 years, you will make partner and I assume 7 figures is pretty standard.

About me: 24, graduated from UMass, BS Accounting and Masters in Accounting. I've been working for 2.5 years.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 PM

Is it as difficult to get a job in trading as it is to get a job in investment banking?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 PM

I just kicked a penalty shot and won thousands of dollars!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 PM

I smoke doobies and live in a van down by the river. Its hard, most of you couldn't handle it and probably don't have adequate resumes for the job
Old 03-15-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an idea stolen from El Diablo's forum, it worked well there and also in BBV4L.

Many young posters here are often unsure what career path they want to take, so if you have/had a job in the finance or investment industry or anything realated, we'd like to hear about it.

What do you do? Do you like it? What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? What kind of people do best in your work? What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? What is a typical day like? What kind of problems do you encounter? What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? How much do you make? How much can one expect to make in your position? How old are you and what is your education level (from what school)? How long have you been in the workforce?

Feel free to ignore any questions that you don't want to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I solve people's Real Estate problems.

2) I love doing what I do.

3) I do what I do well because I do whatever it takes to learn as much as I can from the people that are doing it the best.

4) The kind of people that do best in my work:
-Intense burning desire to accomplish their dreams in life.
-Never give up
-Smart as well as Hard headed.
-People that are so determined to accomplish their goals that they do whatever it takes.

5) Qualifications: Intense burning desire to learn as well as a burning desire to accomplish their life mission, whatever it may be. That is all I need from someone to train them to become real estate assassins.

6) Typical day:

- Wake up, read real estate articles, read a variety of the 3-4 books I am reading now.
- Go to computer, check email for leads.
- Go to distressed homeowner's home and make a deal.
- Do whatever I have to do to facilitate a smooth deal.
- Read some more
- Listen to a few hours of the thousands of hours of real estate audios I have.

7) I don't believe in problems. The challenges I face daily are the challenges an entrepreneur faces daily. Mainly how to spend my time in the most productive way possible. Also, every single real estate deal is a challenge.

8) biggest sources of frustration is having to deal with the "naysers" and "dream stealers". The types that have been telling me "it is impossible" since the day I was born are the biggest sources of frustration, because it comes from some of the people I love the most.

Another source of challenges I face is pinpointing that perfect deal out of the hundreds of leads I look at. It's a numbers game to find the great deal but that means I have to kiss a lot of frogs.

9) I won't answer how much I make.

10) How much someone makes in this business is how much they decide they want to make. There really is no limit.

That is as much information that I will divulge about me.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is an idea stolen from El Diablo's forum, it worked well there and also in BBV4L.

Many young posters here are often unsure what career path they want to take, so if you have/had a job in the finance or investment industry or anything realated, we'd like to hear about it.

What do you do? Do you like it? What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? What kind of people do best in your work? What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? What is a typical day like? What kind of problems do you encounter? What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? How much do you make? How much can one expect to make in your position? How old are you and what is your education level (from what school)? How long have you been in the workforce?

[/ QUOTE ]

3) I do what I do well because I do whatever it takes to learn as much as I can from the people that are doing it the best.

-Never give up
-People that are so determined to accomplish their goals that they do whatever it takes.

5) Qualifications: Intense burning desire to learn as well as a burning desire to accomplish their life mission, whatever it may be. That is all I need from someone to train them to become real estate assassins.

6) Typical day:

- Wake up, read real estate articles, read a variety of the 3-4 books I am reading now.
- Read some more

7) I don't believe in problems. The challenges I face daily are the challenges an entrepreneur faces daily. Mainly how to spend my time in the most productive way possible. Also, every single real estate deal is a challenge.

8) biggest sources of frustration is having to deal with the "naysers" and "dream stealers". The types that have been telling me "it is impossible" since the day I was born are the biggest sources of frustration, because it comes from some of the people I love the most.

Another source of challenges I face is pinpointing that perfect deal out of the hundreds of leads I look at. It's a numbers game to find the great deal but that means I have to kiss a lot of frogs.

10) How much someone makes in this business is how much they decide they want to make. There really is no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a realtor
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Never give up

6) Typical day:

- Read some more

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. So to succeed in real estate do I need an intense burning desire or simply a burning desire?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. So to succeed in real estate do I need an intense burning desire or simply a burning desire?

[/ QUOTE ]

To truly succeed at anything, among other things, you need an intense burning desire to succeed...
Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM

I am not a realtor, I am labelled as an Investor by outsiders. I label myself as a problem solver. The bigger a problem one is able to solve, the more money one will make.

ski :

You need both. There is no way you can succeed at anything in life without an intense burning desire to succeed.

Napoleon Hill's: Think and Grow Rich is like a must must read for anybody with any inkling of ambition whatsoever. His first chapter deals with burning desire.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea exactly what field that you want ot get into. I am (nearly) CFP. I like to do planning, not trading. I could give you great firms to apply to if you would like to do fee-based planning, but not stock trading. Dont change your life because it sounds glamorous...you can make money in any field you are in. If you have an entrepenuerial flare, field work can be very rewarding...the most intelligent person in the world can fail if he is nt a people person

[/ QUOTE ] Its not the lifestyle I am interested in, but I wish to see more of the "life" of a trader. Why do you recommend staying away from this?