Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Another IWTSYH; dealer resurrects mucked hand

1-2NL at a Florida dogtrack. I've been at this table about 4 hours and I'm the deep stack and (apparent) villan having beaten up on the weak-tights and passive players all evening. At one point when I doubled up a short stack in a set over set hand the winner was literally applauded. I'm a quiet player so I guess the frustration is all sour grapes and not my mannerisms. I'm pretty sure I'm not a dick. A couple hours later and I'm last to act in a 3-way hand. I raise to $12 PF, 2 callers up front. Turn brings me the nut-straight; BB checks, UTG goes all-in (about $250), I call and the BB ($150-ish) calls. River pairs the board and UTG immediately shows the rivered FH.

I say "nice hand" and move my cards to the muck as UTG asks to see my hand. I continue to move my cards forward and insert them firmly in the muck. "Sorry, but my cards have been mucked" I say. BB protests, as do two other players not in the hand. I say, as cheerfully as possible, "guys, the only reason you should have to see my cards is if you think I'm cheating" and consider the hand over. The dealer sez they have the right to see my hand and (somehow) picks my AQclubz out of the muck and shows.

I remain composed but inside I'm seething. After quickly re-iterating to the table that IWTSYH is kindergarden, I ask the dealer how the heck he thought it was OK to pull my cards from the grave like Lazarus. He sez they have an absolute right to see and I was wrong to move my cards to the muck as UTG was requesting to see my hand. *Maybe* I was a bad boy for mucking the cards myself, but once mucked aren't they deader than dead? At this point I racked up & split since it was getting late and I was now in a rare and complete state of tilt, so I didn't get the floor involved. Is it ever OK for my hand to be shown under these circumstances?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Another IWTSYH; dealer resurrects mucked hand

If they ask and you have your hand, why didn't you just show them? They do have the right, its the rule, doesn't sound like it was being abused, just show your hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 AM

The procedure for showing hands is for the dealer to touch them to the muck anyway. This ensures the hand is dead and then you table it. If you insert the hand into the muck which is not your job and they are still retrievable I don't see the issue here. The players at the table have the right to see your cards weather its a quasi-angle shot or not. The cards being dead doesnt mean you cannot table them. Dealers are instructed to take folded hands and shove them into the muck so they are not retrievable, you failed at this obv so you paid for it. This is 100% standard.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 AM

hello Magicmuck
Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 AM

I feel for you. I would show, but I really would hope players would learn the purpose of rules rather than the surface.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:47 AM

Isn't the correct procedure for not showing your hand when IWTSTH is invoked, is eating them?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 AM

I usually just take out a zippo and light them on fire.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the correct procedure for not showing your hand when IWTSTH is invoked, is eating them?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obv. the correct answer.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 AM

Spleen this is becoming the norm for florida poker (pbkc/hhr) I get fired up but I just counter it by doing the same to whoever asked.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 AM

and actually if the supposed winner of the hand asks to see a hand then the hand is to remain live. If the winner asks and your hand (which may have been misread by you) beats their hand then you are the winner. If anyone else ask, which as said before they do have the right to do, then the dealer would take the cards. Tap them on the muck face down "killing" the hand and turn them up and then immediately muck them again.

As for a dealer retrieving a hand that is already in the muck, even though they know which ones they are, I have been told this is wrong. The only one that can retrieve a dead hand is the floor. This is the case where I work. Is it the same elsewhere?