Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit

Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 AM

Default What to do in late position with lots of limpers?

Let's say I'm in late position (the button or cut-off) holding something good like 99 or AJs. There's 4 limpers in behind me. Being a generally loose low limit table with no specific reads on people, what should my play generally be? Raise to put more money in the pot with a good hand or just limp and try and hit a good hand (and check/fold if I miss the flop since there are probably going to be 5/6 people in the hand)? Also, is this a stupid question?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: What to do in late position with lots of limpers?

I'd still raise and then use my position postflop to determine what to do next. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think you have equity against that many limpers.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:01 AM

99 or AJs will have a decent equity edge over the trash these folks limp in with. Limit is about pushing small equity edges over thousands of hands, and raising with good hands preflop, especially in position, should be mandatory. Dont be afraid to push your money in the table with good hands, positional advantage, and weak players holding trash.

Raising here will most likely buy you the button and hopefully clear out the small blind. With 99, remember you dont have to c-bet every flop. Personal experience will allow you to gauge the texture of flops in accordance with your limpers to see how you want to continue after your PF raise. AJs is a great hand as well because it will hit the flop pretty frequently, sometimes pair turning into flush or flush draw turning into a winning pair.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 AM

Generally, raise for value. Then let the flop texture and the action tell you what to do. I don't automatically c-bet every time here with AK-AQ (or whatever) because I would rather not show down UI and lose to someone with J-3 who hit bottom pair and stayed in the whole time. Obviously the number of people still in the hand shapes how likely a c-bet is to take down the pot. But sometimes I will c-bet; especially when I have some sort of draw to go along with the OCs. I wouldn't be able to say I have any sort of rule.

If I miss the flop and I'm bet into, it becomes a pot odds issue. If I had 99 and 2 OCs are on the flop and there's a bet and a few calls, I'm letting it go. I'm likely looking at 2 outs. But in cases where I have 2 OCs, I'm more likely to raise here if I want to stay in the hand to make everyone else pay 2 bets. If the SB leads out and everyone calls, I count my outs and peel for one more card if I've got the odds. If I haven't improved on the turn I'm usually done.

All I'm saying is that when I whiff on the flop I'm not automatically checking/folding and I'm not automatically c-betting.

I don't think this is a stupid question. I'm really trying to improve my play in this area. Among many.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 AM

I think it's something like this:

Folding AJs < Folding 99 < Limping AJs < Limping 99 < Raising 99 < Raising AJs
Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 AM

4 limpers behind me I raise 77+, A8o+ Axs+, K10o+ K9s+, Q10s+, QJo+, J10+, 109s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s. In CO I would limp any offsuited connectors and on the button I would add 55+ to raise, call Axo, 22-44 ,and any offsuited connectors and 1 gappers.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise 77+, A8o+ Axs+, K10o+ K9s+, Q10s+, QJo+, J10+, 109s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s. In CO I would limp any offsuited connectors and on the button I would add 55+ to raise, call Axo, 22-44 ,and any offsuited connectors and 1 gappers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an elaborate joke I'm unable to comprehend right?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 limpers behind me I raise 77+, A8o+ Axs+, K10o+ K9s+, Q10s+, QJo+, J10+, 109s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s. In CO I would limp any offsuited connectors and on the button I would add 55+ to raise, call Axo, 22-44 ,and any offsuited connectors and 1 gappers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you have an equity edge with the smaller suited connceters or the offsuit small broadway cards. I guess the original post was so easy we needed to challenge ourselves with additional possibilities. There certainly may be a benefit to the raise if the table is highly likely to check to your preflop raise and give you the option of a free card.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's something like this:

Folding AJs < Folding 99 < Limping AJs < Limping 99 < Raising 99 < Raising AJs

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm coming out of nowhere to voice my opinion that folding 99 with lots of limpers sounds like the worst idea of the bunch, and thus, should be leftmost. Many limpers + set = good. I learned that in math class today.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 AM

Alright thanks guys. I really need to step up my game and didn't realize it was such an easy decision to raise.