Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Train wreck hand - stud hi

Having built up a big head of steam on 3rd and 4th this one went off the rails big time! I know I was too agressive but was trying to get the third player out. How would you have played this?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (13.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___double-raises___double-raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___double-raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls

5th Street - (12.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (18.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (21.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (24.67 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $148 Main pot $145 Rake $3

Seat 1: [Ac Kd 2s Ad 6s 9h Th]

Hero: [Ah As Ks Jh 8d 7d 5s] (A Pair of Aces, King high)

Seat 7: [6c 7h 8s 9d Ts 6d 4c] (A Straight, Ten high)

</font>
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Train wreck hand - stud hi

Pretty standard. Both of the aces hands are dead and some donkey with no hand swoops in despite multiple raises and steals the hand away. You can probably fold the river after seat 1 calls with his hopeless hand unless you think the raiser has nothing and your king kicker is going to play. I probably call just so I can curse more.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:12 AM

I'm fine with 3rd and 4th, although I'm not sure what the double-raise thing is on 4th. I'll assume it was a converter problem.

Given Seat 7 springs to life on 5th, I assume you are almost drawing dead. I fold when it gets back to you. Aces up is not going to win this hand.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM

I agree that this is standard. I woulda folded on 5th. I don't know what seat 7 is doing...pretty awful play from him. What site is this? If seat 7's play is normal for this game, is there a seat available?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Each raise on 4th is still $3.

Not only had seat one a pair of aces he also had king kicker too!

It crossed my mind on 3rd that seat 7 might have trips, but I thought str8 draw after that. He says he had 668. There were 3 of his straight cards out on 3rd - two 7s and a 9. He then had 3 straight and small pair on 4th.

I had thought of this player as fairly solid before this and he seems to win alot - at least the times I have seem him playing, and others seem to consider him a ok player. So I cant figure what hes doing here, except gambling. Its fairly obvious we are both on aces. What he doesnt know though is that our kickers are duplicated too. He actually has slightly higher EV all the way - but he cant know that.

----------3rd------4th------5th
seat 1----31.87----32.54----21.33
seat 2----31.27----26.64----24.47
seat 7----36.42----40.45----54.02
Old 10-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Fold 5th. I would either call the initial complete or call the reraise on 3rd. Since you have a king buried, on 4th it should be clear that seat 1 has aces as well and that jamming is pointless until you improve.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Isn't he getting 17 to 1 on the call on 5th? I think there is enough of a chance it is a free card raise or seat 7 is some whackjob to make the call, esp. since we cant say we are behind the other aces at this point....we do have our runner runner flush draw going for us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Hero has 7/36*6/33 chance of hitting flush assuming only hero catches spade on 6th. That computes to 3.5% so no hero does not have pot odds to call for his flush.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't he getting 17 to 1 on the call on 5th? I think there is enough of a chance it is a free card raise or seat 7 is some whackjob to make the call, esp. since we cant say we are behind the other aces at this point....we do have our runner runner flush draw going for us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so but when seat 7 has just called umpteen times &amp; now all of a sudden raises 5th with a coordinated board....gotta give him credit for making a hand. Hero has already tried to shake him off but he wasn't folding come hell or high water.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero has 7/36*6/33 chance of hitting flush assuming only hero catches spade on 6th. That computes to 3.5% so no hero does not have pot odds to call for his flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you thought thats the only way you can win. I'm just saying a backdoor draw adds that extra 3.5% to whatever he has already and you don't need much to turn it into a call in a pot this big.

What if seat 7 started with 6c8c9c? That seems like a reasonable hand for a bad player to play in this fashion.

Extreme, but I can't say ive never seen anyone keep calling in spots like this with 696....as OP said, villain claimed to have started with 668. If that is actually true then I don't think you want to find out later you folded for 6 bucks in a $108 pot when you were ahead of both players.

I think its an easy fold if the pot wasn't so damn big.

Given that villain had 668 to start, and knowing the other player had aces with a King, Hero is still going to win the hand almost 24% of the time. It is 3BB to call if you call the river and the pot was almost 25BB. He was correct to call 5th I think.