Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Tuesday 7/31- Hot start for stocks!

Hot start for stocks
Markets rally at the open on GM earnings, benign economic reports.
July 31 2007: 9:32 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- U.S. stocks flexed their muscles at Tuesday's open on the strength on GM's earnings and some benign economic reports.

This coming off the heels of a nice gain on Monday.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Tuesday 7/31- Hot start for stocks!

What's moving the markets today
Hot Stocks
Jul 31 9:33am ET †
Company Name Price Change / %Change

ALU Alcatel-Lucent The telecom equipment maker posted a larger-than-expected quarterly loss on merger costs, pricing pressures, and a large writedown. 11.96 -1.30 / -9.80%
DJ Dow Jones & Co Inc The Bancrofts, which own a controlling stake in the publisher of the Wall Street Journal, appear to be inching closer to finalizing the $5 billion takeover deal from News Corp. 57.03 +5.47 / +10.61%
GM General Motors Corporation The No. 1 U.S. automaker posted better-than-expected second quarter earnings as its embattled U.S. auto unit returned to the black after more than two years of losses. 34.62 +2.01 / +6.16%
GSK GlaxoSmithKline plc An FDA panel voted that the drugmaker's Avandia, used to treat diabetes, should remain on the market despite an analysis showing links to increased risks of a heart attack. 51.11 +1.68 / +3.40%
LTD Limited Brands Inc The retailer’s Vice Chairman and Chief Operating Officer Len Schlesinger has decided to resign. 24.82 +0.41 / +1.68%
NKE NIKE, Inc The athletic footwear and apparel retailer reached a $7.6 million settlement in a class-action race-discrimination lawsuit filed on behalf of 400 black employees of the company’s Chicago Niketown store. 57.39 +0.55 / +0.96%
PFG Principal Financial Group In The life and health insurance provider said late Monday net income jumped 44 percent in the second quarter and beat expectations, helped by earnings at its asset management unit. 55.81 0.00 / 0.00%
SUNW Sun Microsystems Inc The world’s third largest maker of computer servers for businesses said it swung into a quarterly profit from a year-earlier loss as it reduced costs. 5.32 +0.43 / +8.79%
WEN Wendy's International, Inc The struggling hamburger chain may receive a bid from restaurant company Triarc between $37 and $41 a share. 36.53 +2.84 / +8.43%
Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 AM

You said 2 days ago you thought we were headed for a bear market, so why do you care if the Dow is up 125 points early in the day?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 AM

Evan, please let me know if i'm out of place here.

Fishhead: you've improved your posting a great deal lately imo in terms of the caps thing and at least sometimes providing some thought/logic.

but i don't really think this type of post is necessary or desireable. with few exceptions that i can't even think of, everybody here reads some kind of newspaper/news site where it is abundantly obvious what the dow is doing.

we don't need a post here to update us at 10am that the dow has jumped.

thanks,
Barron
Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Evan, please let me know if i'm out of place here.

Fishhead: you've improved your posting a great deal lately imo in terms of the caps thing and at least sometimes providing some thought/logic.

but i don't really think this type of post is necessary or desireable. with few exceptions that i can't even think of, everybody here reads some kind of newspaper/news site where it is abundantly obvious what the dow is doing.

we don't need a post here to update us at 10am that the dow has jumped.

thanks,
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

First, thanks for the kudos.

Secondly, note taken on your second recommendation and understand and agree.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM

market is doing really meh recently. I might have to start removing my beta exposure and investing more in bonds and being somewhat short in stocks (still long overall, but less long than 100%)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
market is doing really meh recently. I might have to start removing my beta exposure and investing more in bonds and being somewhat short in stocks (still long overall, but less long than 100%)

[/ QUOTE ]

Think it's very tough to be fully invested in one investment, in your case stocks.

Not so much tough as very risky.

When one can get a 6% return these days with no risk, I think it's smart to at least have a small portion of ones investment bankroll in these types of investments.......say 20-30%.

But I'm very conservative in my old age.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hot start for stocks
Markets rally at the open on GM earnings, benign economic reports.
July 31 2007: 9:32 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- U.S. stocks flexed their muscles at Tuesday's open on the strength on GM's earnings and some benign economic reports.

This coming off the heels of a nice gain on Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

unsustainable?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]