Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Why didn\'t any of you defend this guy?

stabn - I don't understand why you would discuss any aspect of the TT vs. AK thing with him AT ALL. At least in an attempt to make sense or be logical.
This is pretty much what Bernie is saying to I believe.

Not talking semantical arguments about whether you were technically giving him advice or any information or anything.
You were engaging him in the stupidest of conversations, perhaps educating someone else at the table because I'm sure you were composed and probably seemed more knowledgeable than that guy, and essentially it seemed like you were 'taking him on' regarding one of his many mistaken ideas about poker.

Better way to handle it perhaps?

"It depends If you feel like an A or K is going to come out on the flop then AK is better."

Or perhaps, "Sometimes an ace comes. Sometimes it doesn't. That's poker!"
"Those aces sure seem to come a lot whenever I have pocket kings or queens."

The bowel-movement convo is a decent tactic.
Or you can talk about tacos (yum) or the baseball scores on TV, or "Hey, Have seen that exercise commercial with the chick who is supposed to be over 50 and a grandmother? I saw it again the other day and she is HOT!!!! no freaking way she's a grandmother."

Talking with an idiot about TT vs. AK is the last thing I would want to do. And I assumed it was the last thing most others around here would want to do also.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 AM

My talking about ace-king was me saying "ace-king" like 30 times in 5 minutes. That's it. He was trying to educate me. I was just saying ace-king.

An example since i know people are going to be like omg lol you were still educating.

He made some example with a ten coming on the flop. He said "which is better now mr ace-king?" I said "ace-king".
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM

stabn,

After seeing what became of this thread, yeah, I regret starting it. I wish the old nit club could have focused on the question at hand and not all the other stuff.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Dealing with abusive player from the floor/dealer perspective.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...but the well known player just couldn't stop swearing at me when I explained we don't tell players to STFU, we ask them to not talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would you explain to someone that you don't tell people to STFU? Is it not obvious that course of action will only escalate the situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry it took so long to reply, I jsut now saw this. If he had asked me to clear the rail or tell the guy to shut up that is fine, but I do not tolerate players swearing at the table. If you are unable to ask someone to be quiet without dropping the f bomb you are not conducting yourself as a lady or gentleman as is required to play poker.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stabn,

After seeing what became of this thread, yeah, I regret starting it. I wish the old nit club could have focused on the question at hand and not all the other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry I could have sworn I posted an answer very early in the thread, but I don't see it. If a player is harassing another player they will be told to stop. Many rooms allow this thing to go on too long. A good floor will walk the room (or his area in a large room) and will be familiar with who is playing on the tables. If a player is out of line he might not hear it the first time, but he will become aware of it without being called. I have found the best way to deal with a table captain is to tell them away form the table that everyone brings their own money to the table and are free to play it how they like without comment from the other players.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Randy,

You did answer. It was brief but it was good. I don't include you in the "nit" club in the least. It's the people who knee jerked out of their shoes to talk about other stuff and act upset that young people play poker.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Dealing with abusive player from the floor/dealer perspective.

What's wrong with just ignoring idiots? When you argue with one, nobody can tell the difference. And you always have to be open to the idea that you were the idiot in the first place, otherwise you stunt yourself. Ignoring them like the children they are ends it so much sooner. Don't tolerate, but don't engage, either.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Randy,

You did answer. It was brief but it was good. I don't include you in the "nit" club in the least. It's the people who knee jerked out of their shoes to talk about other stuff and act upset that young people play poker .

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids,

It's comments like this one that make some veteran players bemoan the fact that young guys have picked up the game more and more. Bernie, bav, Jimbo...none of them ever called you guys "young punks" or anything like that. If there's anyone stereotyping here based on age, it's you. And if there's anyone reinforcing age-based stereotypes, it's also you.

-McGee
Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 PM

It's the "we do what we please 'cause that's how we roll" attitude that gets to me. Kyle writes "I don't take any crap", which is fine with me, but what is described is other people getting crap and Kyle deciding from the rail he's going to jump in. That's just a bully walking around looking for a fight.

Let's have Kyle come be The Vegas Enforcer--we'll have him go from room to room making sure everybody at the tables is polite and when they're not, he'll hurl insults and snarky comments from the rail. That'll fix things.

And I'll again come back to the theory that telling other people they're nits for understanding etiquette and polite behaviour is further proof of the "we do what we please" attitude. It ain't youth or spirit or goofiness I have trouble with, it's breaking the rules of etiquette and then being proud of it, and telling everybody else who says "you were wrong" that they're nits.

And I don't bemoan the young guys playing--I love it. I identify far more with the 20-somethings than the 60-somethings. But I've never had much tolerance for pointless rudeness, rule breaking, and disruptive behaviour. I was the kid who'd sigh when Doug would start firing spitwads during math class AGAIN and we'd have a 2-minute interlude while the teacher screamed and sent Doug into the hall. Y'all were the type who would pull out your own straws and start chewing paper.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I'll again come back to the theory that telling other people they're nits for understanding etiquette and polite behaviour is further proof of the "we do what we please" attitude. It ain't youth or spirit or goofiness I have trouble with, it's breaking the rules of etiquette and then being proud of it, and telling everybody else who says "you were wrong" that they're nits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree. It does tend to get to seem rather one sided. 'Someone is a dick, so we'll be a dick. But the other(first) person is wrong because...' pffft. Sounds a little playground, doesn't it?

Dids: In one post you pretty much say how you anticipated Kyle coming in so he can screw with the guy. I'm sure I could find the quote if you need me to. Not sure if you included others with you anticipating that.

I'm guessing alot of the people calling us nits haven't really played in a cardroom that long. At least long enough to see how common this is to have a player like that on your table and learn how to deal with it. I deal with these types of idiots on a daily basis. Whether on my table or if they're on a table next to me. The events Stabn stated don't even suprise me. Actually, it seemed kind of tame. There are many miserable people in a cardroom. It's not all bright and cheery like TV tries to make it out to be. Sorry, but you have to learn that you can't just hit a 'mute chat' button. I'd say 70+% of the tables have someone that will TC at some point. Some do get extreme. You learn to deal with it. As someone pointed out, ignoring them does tend to shut them up. So does making light of it with the table as someone else brought up.

I've found many internet players(and younger crowd) just don't seem to give a rip about the room or many in it. Seems many learn their P's and Q's from Eric Molina. You don't learn the etiquette, nor the procedures of the room online. But many just don't seem to care to learn anyways and expect the room to cater only to them. The 'that's how we roll' attitude is there at times. And I've seen/read it in some 2+2 games. As if they don't give any thought to those around them.

Over the last 2+ years, the attitude in cardrooms has just degenerated. Everyone has their [censored] out and splayed all over the table. Part of handling these situations is not adding fuel to the fire. The floor isn't going to kick out everyone that TCs or makes someone feel uncomfortable. They'd lose 1/2 their room. So it has to be pretty extreme for that measure.

The best way of handling it starts with the players and how each one reacts. It's not an a-holes fault how you react to them.

b
Closed Thread