Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We agree it's their own business whether they choose to learn English or not. We don't agree that they are entitled to a job without speaking English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noone is entitled to a job. But if they can get a job without being able to speak english good luck to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They got the job. Are they entitled to keep it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this the employer's decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the employer and the employee have the "entitlement" to end the employment at any time for any reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

too slow
Old 11-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Ay caramba. Esta locura me da dolor de la cabeza.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ban
Old 11-21-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

deport

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And aren't you a cop in Texas? Yeah, it's absurd to imagine a cop in Texas running across anybody who might speak Spanish. I'm sure it's just as likely as some African language as you are now pretending. It's funny that a cop used the statement "Everyone I work with speaks English" in this thread -- like duh, genius, I am also sure every criminal in Texas speaks English, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, this entire statement is incorrect, except for the fact that I did, in fact say, that everyone I work with speaks English.

[ QUOTE ]
Ad hominem: The fact that the state gives people who reason as well as you a gun and authority should be enough to convice many to anarchism.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you think a badge = authority is funny enough to me.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My problem is with the "mandatory" part of it [regarding Spanish skills for a job]. ... As to the OP, I also believe that a business is certainly entitled to require all employees to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypocrisy ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not hypocrisy, it's common sense. What language are you communicating in now?

I certainly wouldn't hire someone who to work for me who couldn't communicate with me or my customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

But some people *would* hire someone who can't speak english. Often, this does not cause an inability to communicate with the boss, and often, these people don't directly interact with customers. What's so horrible about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, this is the same ridiculous argument I just had with Kaj. I could honestly care less whether the owner hires them or not, however, I personally will not attempt to conduct business dealings in a foreign language, so I will leave.

My main reason for being here is to protect the owners right to fire them, if he or she so chooses.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why because you say so? Did you just declare an official state language for all of America right here on 2+2? Is that now the law of the land? Sorry, dude, but you don't get to tell every business and state/local govt in America which language it MUST conduct its business in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I did. I simply said that if a business owner won't hire someone who can't speak English, good for him. He's got an advantage over someone who will when I need whatever service he provides.

A business owner has the right to hire whomever he chooses.

A question to you. If I have two otherwise equally qualified candidates apply for a job, with the exception that one cannot speak English, so I go with the one who can, would you support that candidates right to sue me for not hiring him, because I instead chose the other candidate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen the goalposts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you conducting the same assault Kaj attempted?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
i ask again, why shouldn't immigrants have to learn english?

why should they?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://immigration.findlaw.com/articles/2911.html
[ QUOTE ]
The Eligibility Criteria

If you are interested in applying for U.S. citizenship, first make sure that:

* you have lived in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least five years (with exceptions; for example, the time period changes to four years if you got your green card through an application for political asylum, and to three years if you got your green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen and you are still married to and living with the citizen. There are other exceptions for refugees and U.S. military personnel.)
* you have been physically present in the United States for at least half of the last five years (or half of the last four or three years, if you qualify under one of the exceptions above)
* you have lived in the district or state where you are filing your application for at least three months
* you have not spent more than a year outside the United States
* you have not made your primary home in another country
* you are at least 18 years old
* you have good moral character (in particular, this means that you have not been convicted of a crime, have not failed to pay taxes, and have not failed to register for the draft)
* you are able to speak, read, and write in English
* you are able to pass a test covering U.S. history and government, and
* you are willing to swear that you believe in the principles of the U.S. Constitution and will be loyal to the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it seems to me if someone can't speak english that is evidence right there that they are not US citizens. (however there are certain exceptions, like if applicant is over 50 I believe, they may not have to know english.)
Old 11-21-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
i ask again, why shouldn't immigrants have to learn english?

why should they?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://immigration.findlaw.com/articles/2911.html
[ QUOTE ]
The Eligibility Criteria

If you are interested in applying for U.S. citizenship, first make sure that:

* you have lived in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least five years (with exceptions; for example, the time period changes to four years if you got your green card through an application for political asylum, and to three years if you got your green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen and you are still married to and living with the citizen. There are other exceptions for refugees and U.S. military personnel.)
* you have been physically present in the United States for at least half of the last five years (or half of the last four or three years, if you qualify under one of the exceptions above)
* you have lived in the district or state where you are filing your application for at least three months
* you have not spent more than a year outside the United States
* you have not made your primary home in another country
* you are at least 18 years old
* you have good moral character (in particular, this means that you have not been convicted of a crime, have not failed to pay taxes, and have not failed to register for the draft)
* you are able to speak, read, and write in English
* you are able to pass a test covering U.S. history and government, and
* you are willing to swear that you believe in the principles of the U.S. Constitution and will be loyal to the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it seems to me if someone can't speak english that is evidence right there that they are not US citizens. (however there are certain exceptions, like if applicant is over 50 I believe, they may not have to know english.)

[/ QUOTE ]
So from a legal stance maybe. What about a moral stance?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, this is the same ridiculous argument I just had with Kaj. I could honestly care less whether the owner hires them or not,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your emphasis.