Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Default contacts to eye glasses

I have worn contacts (never glasses) for 10+ years with virtually no problems. The other morning I woke up and had conjunctivitis (Pink Eye). Long story short, I went to the Eye Dr and he gave me some eye drops. He also told me not to wear my contact in that eye until it clears up. I went to LensCrafters and bought a pair of eyeglasses yesterday afternoon. I had my wife pick them up and I just tried them on. Unfortunately, they make me very dizzy - especially when I turn my head or look up and down.

Has anyone else experienced this and is this normal? I'm hoping my eyes just need to adjust to the lens being a couple of inches from my eyes, as opposed to contacts.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: contacts to eye glasses

I don't wear any sort of lenses, but my wife just picked up a new pair of glasses last week after only wearing contacts since she was in high school. She says there's no problem.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM

What you are experiencing is not out of the ordinary. I wore contacts only for about seven years then a reaction to certain proteins caused severe irritation in my eyelids. I had the same discomfort going back glasses but soon got used to it. I now wear glasses all the time and only use contacts when I play baseball on Sundays and have no problems with either. I would suggest that you double check your prescription with your eye doctor. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 PM

For some reason, I feel shorter when I wear my glasses instead of my contacts. This kind of disorientation could probably make me dizzy if I wore my glasses for an entire day, but maybe I would get used to it over time. I think that pretty much anything that messes with your vision could make you nauseous or dizzy. I get that way very quickly if I have only one contact in. FWIW.

ScottieK
Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 PM

I recently switched back to glasses due to a fairly severe allergy season after having worn contacts for 7+ years. I haven't gone back to contacts at all but when you first switch to glasses, there's definitely a period of time where I was dizzy and things just didn't seem right. It took a week maybe a little longer for my eyes to adjust to wearing glasses again.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:15 PM

I switched from contacts to glasses a while back. It took about a week to get used to things and make sure I was only looking through the glasses. Going down stairs was really weird.

You'll get used to it.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Like most things in medicine, the answer is "it depends"

If you're wearing bifocals, like some of the old farts around here (me) - and especially if they are the "blended" type that don't have a line that you can see, expect to have slowly diminishing problems for at least a month. Basically, your brain has to "rewire" the way it interprets visual input. You improve, but so slowly that you don't see the improvement.

If regular, non-bifocal lenses, maybe a week - less tweaking of the visual cortex, or something like that - if it persists beyond that, see an opthomologist. NOT an opthomatrist - I suspect that's who you saw originally, and 99.5% of the time, they're good enough for general problems. But you'd be beyond that, IMHO......

MM MD
Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM

Doesn't everyone who wears contacts also have a pair of glasses anyway? I almost always end up wearing glasses for a little while while reading in bed at night or when I first get up in the morning. I also wear them on long car trips/plane rides, etc., when my eyes might get dry or I might want to nap.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't everyone who wears contacts also have a pair of glasses anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prolly, but I didn't. I have had almost zero problems with my contacts. In fact, I would wear them for 3-6 months, never removing them - even for periodic cleanings.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I switched from contacts to glasses a while back. It took about a week to get used to things and make sure I was only looking through the glasses. Going down stairs was really weird.

You'll get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going down the stairs is the hardest thing right now. I keep walking up and down hoping it will get easier.

I had a bowl(s) of clam chowder for lunch and had to keep telling myself that the bowl is not tilted.