Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Default PRK/Lasik Surgery

Ok, I am about to turn 40, and have been wearing glasses for as long as I can remember. My mom says since I was 3. I have finally gotten up the courage to get lasik. I went in and had the exam, they were very through in my opinion, and seemed to think I would be a very good subject. They also thought that I should go the PRK route. I am not gonna explain the differences, I just want to ask OOT their experiences with PRK, mainly healing times, and most importantly, the first few weeks....

So, anyone out there have PRK? If so, any thing you can offer will be greatly appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: PRK/Lasik Surgery

This didn't originate on 2+2 but it's one of the best threads I've read on PRK: anandtech thread
Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Although mine was lasik, I'm 38 and just had it done about 10 days ago. The procedure lasted about 10 minutes, didn't hurt at all, and I was seeing clearly the very next day.

Now 10 days in, I've had no problems so far. I was warned of fluctuating vision at various times of the day, but so far, outside of some occasional bluriness, usually remedied with eye drops, any fluctuations have been minimal. I've had no soreness in my eyes, although they tend to feel "tired" at the end of the day, and when I get home I keep wanting to take out contacts that are no longer there.

I'm loving my new vision and would recommend lasik to others. Good luck with your procedure if you decide to go for it.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM

I had Lasik.

Search for me under OOT with my SN and Lasik in the subject line.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This didn't originate on 2+2 but it's one of the best threads I've read on PRK: anandtech thread

[/ QUOTE ]

This was very informative, thanks! have read many blogs so far, alot of them negative. I hold that up to several factors...some of them are several years old, and the tech is much better now, also, you don't usually see alot more abd posts complaining, vrs good positive posts. Tnanks again....
Old 05-20-2007, 11:25 PM

How much is it? I'm thinking 1500-2000. My eyes are pretty [censored] up so I'm assuming the more [censored] up your eyes = higher pay scale. I'm definitely going to get it before the end of the year.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had Lasik.

Search for me under OOT with my SN and Lasik in the subject line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...reread your posts. I am having mine 1 year to the day after yours 6/9.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:07 AM

You could PM me if you like.

I'm not sure why you'd trade distance for reading glasses, but I've been blessed by emmetropia. Make sure the doc dilated your eyes and looked at your peripheral retina pre-operatively.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 AM

I just had PRK 6 weeks ago.

The first two days following were the hardest from an uncomfortable standpoint. My eyes watered nonstop. With the pain pills and the sleeping pills I did fine though - I would not call it pain necessarily, more like incredible discomfort. And don't expect to be able to keep your lids open for any period of time for the first two days.

I was expecting clearer vision faster. It surprised me that it took a couple weeks to really see well - I think my expectations were not set correctly so I was a bit disappointed. After a couple weeks my right eye settled in nicely at 20/15, though my left eye has taken longer to stabilize.

Now at 6 weeks I'm still waiting for my left eye to get better than 20/30 or so. It will take longer to know whether a correction is necessary.

I'm 39 and have been in glasses since about 12, my prescription was about 400 with 1.25 astigmatism.

I am happy to see well - it was worth it even if I'm still waiting on my left eye.

Lasik people can't talk to you about recovery and pain - only someone else that had PRK knows what it's like.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could PM me if you like.

I'm not sure why you'd trade distance for reading glasses, but I've been blessed by emmetropia. Make sure the doc dilated your eyes and looked at your peripheral retina pre-operatively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, not me sir....want the surgery, I think you were talking to another poster.