Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Is any of this really "new", or is it a lot of concepts that decent players have known for a while that have just been given a label and presented in an organized way? Don't get me wrong, the book is very good and well-written, I just found myself feeling like the book was aimed much more at beginners than I thought. I mean, if you even halfway understand the advantages of short-stacking, SPR theory isn't exactly ground-breaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not ground-breaking, but then if you play your hand different than if you knew you opponents cards is bad and if he plays his hand different than if he knew your cards is good probably wasn't "ground-breaking" either. But the articulation and organization of the concept and subsequent conclusions from that concept were totally ground-breaking.

TOP was one book but DS put simple on the surface but deep and deeper as you think. And some very experienced and winning players read it and learned when it came out.This is where PNL is headed, just gonna take more than one book. PNL vol.1 might be for beginners but it is already working it's way up at the end.

These "non-ground-breaking" books are what our civilazation was built upon. A good thought as poker is what made the wild west so awesome, along with pussy and whiskey, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]