Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever pulled yr pud while reading/posting to 2+2?
Yes 31 31.31%
No 22 22.22%
BASTAHHHHH OOH OH GOD UH WHAT IT DO ugggggggghhhhhhhhhgghgahkglkcd-9897^(Uhbn 087 (6chowmeow) almosttherehjchh8y084 PT*^YT k, es08[0fusenship pit. 46 46.46%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: If you got Ladanian Tomlinson and a few of his closest friends...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jonah Lomu > LT

[/ QUOTE ]

hah yeah right

[/ QUOTE ]

he is obv a good athlete, but there are plenty of defensive ends who are bigger and faster than this guy
Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 AM

this discussion has happened a few times on this board in the past

I believe the rugby 'experts' said the NFL team could be really good with LBs, Safeties, RBs recrafting their bodies for the sport....how long that takes is the question
Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jonah Lomu > LT

[/ QUOTE ]

hah yeah right

[/ QUOTE ]

he is obv a good athlete, but there are plenty of defensive ends who are bigger and faster than this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigger than 265lbs yet able to run 100 metres in less than 10.9 + also super well coordinated?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 months? lol, no. And I know almost nothing about Rugby.

Also, those dudes don't wear pads or helmets = Ray Lewis murdering some bitches

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Scrummaging and lineout techniques are also a lot more complicated. Just about any US player who is tall enough and athletic enough to be a good lock is playing basketball, not football

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know rugby, but I would be stunned if this was true. There are many highly athletic NFL players that are at least 6'4" (Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Randy Moss, Jevon Kearse) and an occasional 6'7" super freak like Julius Peppers.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Scrummaging and lineout techniques are also a lot more complicated. Just about any US player who is tall enough and athletic enough to be a good lock is playing basketball, not football

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know rugby, but I would be stunned if this was true. There are many highly athletic NFL players that are at least 6'4" (Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Randy Moss, Jevon Kearse) and an occasional 6'7" super freak like Julius Peppers.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was thinking peppers and kearse would be the nuts in rugby. Still think it would take a lil longer than 6 months tho.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 AM

i'd take the under.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll concede this, and thinking more, suspect a lineout capable of winning their own throw ins might be possible in 6 months. I still think the scrums would be a disaster though.

There are a couple of positions where experience is just so important too. Richie McCaw and George Smith aren't great open side flankers through pure athleticism, its because they know the game, and get to the right place at the right time.

Same for fly half, Wilkinson and Carter are good athletes, but its experience and field vision that makes them great. There are probably a few quarterbacks who would be great fly halfs with time, but it'd take a lot more than 6 months to get there.

A NFL pro bowl team would [censored] on the all blacks as far as athletes go, but I can't see them beating them with only 6 months to learn rugby.

except if it was the only way they could choke a world cup of course...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigger than 265lbs yet able to run 100 metres in less than 10.9 + also super well coordinated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lomu ran a 10.89 100m at his peak, which translates to about a 4.75-4.80 in the 40.

A guy 6'5", 265lbs, running a 4.8 in the 40 can be found on every NFL roster, and even more of them left in the unemployment line after the final cutdown day, because it just isn't that impressive on it's face.

In fact, a 265-pounder running a 4.8 is considered "slow", and would need to bulk up to keep his job, because he just won't cut it as a "speed guy" with those times.

Consider Tommie Harris is 295lb, and ran a 4.68 at the combine, that's like asking Lomu to put on a 30 pound rucksak, and then suddenly be able to run 5 or 6 steps faster than he's ever done in his life.

I mean, Rugby is great and all, but let's don't get ridiculous.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 AM

I know nothing about rugby. Explain to me how a rugby team is going to score against guys that are 20 pounds heavier and five steps faster on average? Those guys in the photo are puny. Imagine Ray Lewis making that hit?

Let Ricky Williams play the position of the guy in the white shirt. He'd probably smoke a doobie while he carried those munchkins to wherever he needed to carry them.