Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Nervous about live play

I play mostly online and I've noticed in the past that I get very nervous in live play. I literally shake and get chills when I sit down. I'm playing the same stakes I play online, but I'm terrified. It usually lasts about half an hour and then I get into a rhythm and calm down. I guess the plus side is that it probably masks some tells.

Anyone else do this? Any techniques for dealing with it? Maybe it won't be as bad this time (heading to Vegas in a few weeks) because I'm playing a couple thousand hands a day online and winning. Maybe I'll have more confidence.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Nervous about live play

Practice makes perfect.

This is actually pretty typical of new live players.

First of all, read the B&M Newbie Guide. That should give you all the basics of starting off at live play. The B&M forum is also a great place to ask any specific questions about the cardrooms you will be playing at and the games you will be in, though be sure to use the search function first to see if the answers you are looking for have already been discussed recently.

Other than that it is honestly just a matter of getting comfortable in the games, and that just entails experience. Put in the hours and soon the jitters will be gone. As long as you do it in every hand its not a tell, so don't worry about it and just play your game.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Nervous about live play

"I literally shake and get chills when I sit down"

I always do this because they keep it so cold where I play...I have learned to where long sleeves or a jacket when playing.

I was nervous the first few times also, but you get warmed up to it. Take a few breaths, have fun, and use those shaky hands to your advantage!