Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Send a message to Kevin Everett

[ QUOTE ]
We all know he gets paid well for playing football, we also happen to enjoy watching the game. I don't see why the two are incompatible.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't incompatible, they just really aren't connected in the sense that

"He got hurt because we like watching football."
Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[
And the above attitude is so incredibly adolescent. Yes, the vast majority of things in this world are done selfishly - but they can still have a postitive impact on people nonetheless. Revealing the 'true' motives behind something doesn't lessen its impact on other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a valid point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you don't think the people posting about how it's selfish to leave a message aren't also being selfish by trying to prove how non-selfish they are, if that makes any sense at all. Obviously no one is reacting like it's their grandmother or someone who died, but it doesn't hurt anyone to send something, so I don't see why it should be mocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem comes from people who do things like this and feel as they they're really doing something good in the world just because they took 30 seconds to send a note, or forward an email, or sign an online petition. The ratio of helpfulness to self satisfaction is pretty low.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dids, Clark. Quit while you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not behind, or ahead of, anything. I'm at this point responding to absurd posts of people who are angry I don't feel as deeply about this issue as they do. Note all the baseless accusations earlier in the thread where I asked for substantiation for the claims. Basically, they all boil down to "you don't care enough to write a letter, you're a mean jerk". Uh, ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not angry that you don't feel emotion. I'm angry that you and Dids felt the need to come in here and tell everyone that you don't. Would you go to a funeral just to let people know that you're not saddened by the loss of a person? It just makes no sense to me what your motivation is.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Fantastic analogy.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fantastic analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

not once has someone posted an analogy on 2+2 without someone saying it wasn't a good one. so, please, post an appropriate analogy.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dids, Clark. Quit while you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not behind, or ahead of, anything. I'm at this point responding to absurd posts of people who are angry I don't feel as deeply about this issue as they do. Note all the baseless accusations earlier in the thread where I asked for substantiation for the claims. Basically, they all boil down to "you don't care enough to write a letter, you're a mean jerk". Uh, ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not angry that you don't feel emotion. I'm angry that you and Dids felt the need to come in here and tell everyone that you don't. Would you go to a funeral just to let people know that you're not saddened by the loss of a person? It just makes no sense to me what your motivation is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree w/ this & Homer's similar thoughts earlier...
I didn't know how to explain it without sounding like I'm playing the lame moral highground card...
it's just weird that clearly they were just itching to argue about this.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fantastic analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see why it isn't.

People are grieving over a tragedy at an event(in one case it in person, in the other case its online).

As always, some people may be there just "for show" because it would look bad if they didn't come. And some people truly are deeply saddened.

A person comes to the event and purposefully expresses his lack of sadness and care. Another person comes and mocks those expressing their sadness because he thinks they're all being fake.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A person comes to the event and purposefully expresses his lack of sadness and care

[/ QUOTE ]

Direct quotes please.

It's astounding how people either simply refuse to read what is written, or seemingly willfully want to be artificially offended that someone isn't of 100% the same mind on this issue.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:10 PM

If you want to use a funeral analogy, it's more like somebody famous dies and the funeral is right in your back yard. You choose not to go.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to use a funeral analogy, it's more like somebody famous dies and the funeral is right in your back yard. You choose not to go and sit on your deck to inform those heading to the funeral that you aren't going.

[/ QUOTE ]