Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Default 500NL LIVE: KK UTG+1

This was a hand that a friend of mine played a few weeks ago, and since he doesn't like the advice I give him I was hoping you all could help me out.

No reads on either of the players involved in this hand. They both have a full stack($500) and we have them covered($1000).

Table is 7 handed.

Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG+1.

UTG folds, hero calls $5, MP1 calls $5, HJ folds, button raises to $20, the blinds fold, hero reraises to $50, MP1 calls $45, button calls $30.

Flop: ($150) Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]<font color="blue"> (3 players) </font>

Hero bets $100, MP1 raises to $300, button folds, hero reraises to $450 (all-in), MP1 calls.

Did hero play this hand good or bad and why?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 500NL LIVE: KK UTG+1

I don't mind limp/reraising in a full game, but 7 handed (3 off the button if hero's UTG+1) I'd rather raise first in. Once MP limps and button raises, the 3-bet's gotta be at least to $60, maybe $70.

After the limp/reraise and flop bet, hero's range is basically KK+, so when he gets raised I'd assume he's looking at a set. There's not a lot of other hands MP1 could have called a reraise not even closing the action with except maybe AKs.

I find most $2/5 games to play pretty weak tight outside of New York (I haven't played NL in California, but I'd assume it plays pretty wild), and even here I'd be inclined to fold without a good read.

Good to see you back, PB.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Bad.

He should of made it $100 to go imo. I hate the LRR. I think it gives away the strength of your hand unless you are good at balancing it with bluffs, which I am not...

If I am villain against your friend I am playing for set value and he clearly gave me the odds to call and set mine.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the limp/reraise and flop bet, hero's range is basically KK+

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I said to him.

He said he's capable of lrr'ing with AJ+, JJ+, and KQ. And occasionally a hand like 76s.

Of course, these players aren't going to know that.

What do you think about his strategy?^^^
Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM

I don't play live very much but
I like the limp/raise, but I think we need to reraise to an absolutely minimum of $60, and more is probably better.
Even MP1 is getting good odds to call with just about anything as long as you are stacking off, let alone the btn.
With a big reraise it should play out the same

It was played bad b/c he basically forced everyone to see a flop and then stacked off with 1 pair.

If he had a read where villains would stack off with QJ, KQ then it was brilliant, but people don't do that very often
Old 10-12-2007, 04:43 PM

make it like 70-80 pre flop. 50 is wayyyy to little. i think after the flop you gotta get it in, thought i dont want to.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:46 PM

I don't think I've ever limp re-raised in my life, so you can tell how much I like that move. That being said, I think his re-raise is way too small. The raiser only needs to call $30 which gives him more than enough implied odds to set mine with 77. Particularly since this is live and there may well be other callers to juice the pot.

I think everyone's flop analysis is spot on so I won't just repeat it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think FPS at live games (at least lower stakes games) is really, really dangerous. You don't need to be tricky to beat these games, you just need to be consistent. Especially when tricky just means you hang yourself.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I said to him.

He said he's capable of lrr'ing with AJ+, JJ+, and KQ. And occasionally a hand like 76s.

Of course, these players aren't going to know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your opponents are raising a wide range but calling a 3-bet with a narrow range (less than 30% of their raising range), then you can l/rr with ATC and show an immediate profit, especially in a live game if you're good at reading tells. I'm too much of a nit to actually do this, though.

It's crucial to have a read on your opponents before you mess around with any of this, though, and...

[ QUOTE ]
No reads on either of the players involved in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've limp/reraised live with JJ and TT against loose aggressive half stacks, though, getting calls from AJo and Q9s respectively (and a fold from AK in the same hand). But that's with a strong read of like 84/50 on the player.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've ever limp re-raised in my life

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think you're missing out on making a healthy balancing strategy there. I'm guessing that means you almost never open limp in EP huh?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM

I basically l/rr somestimes with AA, KK, and AKs in live games where I want to limp my small pairs, too. If there aren't other hands you want to open limp, though, limp/reraising doesn't make much sense.