Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Michael Clayton

I'm very excited for this one. One of the first Oscar season movies this year to actually get good reviews and word of mouth. Great cast.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when Clooney talks to his son in the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

My fave, loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll third this. almost felt a tear while watching this part.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 AM

How big did Ken Howard get from the White Shadow (one of my favorite shows as a kid)?! He must be well over 300 pounds and looks like a total alky.

Loved the movie.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 PM

I was really impressed with this movie. I saw it basically on a whim, and I'm very glad I did.

Great performances all around, good story, and well-developed enough that at the end, I wasn't sure which way he was going to go.

-jet
Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when Clooney talks to his son in the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree w/ everyone else here. I loved how his son had his head tilted back, you could see him taking it all in and for the first time the son was actually believing what his father was saying and at the right time too b/c it wasn't about getting to the movies or reading a book it was about the kid. Absolutely loved that scene, made me smile.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Yeah, awesome movie, best of the year, etc. One question--was it just me, or was Clooney wearing eyeliner? Seriously.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How big did Ken Howard get from the White Shadow (one of my favorite shows as a kid)?! He must be well over 300 pounds and looks like a total alky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, that's the same guy? He's now the archetypal jowly corporate villain...
Old 10-23-2007, 10:38 PM

My wife noticed it too. She asked me about it afterwards, but I didn't notice it. She speculated that perhaps he has something wrong with his eye(s) that requires make-up?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The poker scene, however brief, was much more realistic than they usually are in movies, and Rounders' writer Brian Koppelman is credited as "Player #2."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch. Notice that the detective from NYPD who clears Clooney that the apartment is sealed is Osborne (David Zayas) from the 'municipal' game in Rounders as well?

Anyhow, the hype about this movie is for real. Truly integral film that I connected with because of the implied long odds of living a life reaching for Authenticity in matters of grave importance. The 'madness' of Tom Wilkinson's character in Michael Clayton is Howard Beale (Network) meets Jeffrey Wigand (Russell Crowe-The Insider). Mad genius is more like it...

*** Spoilerish ***

<font color="white">I disagree about the ending. The introspective cab ride is perfect for a character found in unfamiliar redemption amongst the carcasses he usually directs attention away from (not to mention the audience reflecting upon it). If what you don't like about the ending is that his character is incongruent in flipping, then that is an oversight. It is a bold statement on the power of man to destroy egoic/structural boundaries to restore a greater order to the world within/around him. Aren't these boundaries one in the same? Well done by Gilroy here. </font>

Not the box office draw, but will give Clooney the nod for nomination Oscar Best Actor. Wilkinson may deservedly see the tap as well... And Tilda Swinton. Give Gilroy the nod too. And the movie itself. Damn, that was good!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 AM

Saw it tonight, great movie.