Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Another stupid roomate situation

[ QUOTE ]
if he didn't hand in the lease have you technically been squatting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived without a lease for about 4 years. it was just assumed to be month-month after my old lease expired.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:18 PM

first, you still havent directly talked to the landlord correct? you are still going off everything roommate is telling you which is what got you in trouble in the first place. i would call landlord and ask if she has a signed lease from you.

if there is no signed lease, depending on state laws where you are, i dont understand why a tenant needs to give 45 days notice to move out on a month-to-month. something sounds fishy w/ that.

and as chess says, half rent wont cut it. landlord wants 100% of the rent. partial payment doesnt mean anything since she cant make a partial mortgage payment on the house.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I lived without a lease for about 4 years. it was just assumed to be month-month after my old lease expired.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard unless the expiring lease states something very specific to the contrary.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a YP, not MP. (Your Problem, not My Problem).

[/ QUOTE ]

have you seen the scene from the office where michael uses acronyms to save time and spends the first part of the meeting explaining what the acronyms stand for? you might be able to identify.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Sounds like your 'friend' deserves a kick in the nuts. At this point blame assignment is pointless. Just do what you have to do (legally) to get the outcome most advantageous to you.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:32 PM

This seems really easy. You have 2 months to find a roommate. Don't be friends with the [censored]head anymore.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My roomate is a real estate agent so he was taking care of all of this....Then last week he tells me he is giving the landlord a 45 day notice any day now, and we will have to move out December 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like 99.9% of tenant/landlord problems this one boils down to the old "I let other people dictate the terms and conditions of my living arrangement and then - this is the totally unforeseeable part - I got screwed! Can you believe it?!?! So who has ideas?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you stupid or trolling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, was he supposed to handcuff himself to his roommate and walk with him to the landlord's office so that he could be certain his roommate turned in the lease?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you usually do with your roomates but I usually don't handcuff myself to them under any circumstances. But if that's your thing, we'll that's your thing.

As for REALLY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS like leases, I sure as hell don't just give it to someone and assume that everything is fine. Standard operating procedure for anybody should be to have a rock solid paper trail of copies of leases and correspondence signed by you and the landlord and any tenants so that you don't end up in a terrible undefendable position. It's not trolling to tell someone "you are suffering the consequences of not taking something seriously enough". Sometimes you have to nit it up to protect yourself against the doucebags of life.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and as chess says, half rent wont cut it. landlord wants 100% of the rent. partial payment doesnt mean anything since she cant make a partial mortgage payment on the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone mention that the landlord is a woman? Or has this PC stuff really become standard even in informal conversation?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone mention that the landlord is a woman? Or has this PC stuff really become standard even in informal conversation?

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, standard. even as a facet of schooling teachers, it's trained in as "grammatical correctness."
Old 10-20-2007, 02:32 AM

I'm not really an expert on this stuff, but it would appear that your friend is a douche bag of epic proportions.

I'd be less concerned with working it out and more concerned with finding a way to [censored] him over in one way or another.