Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Can I call this for set value?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $9.55
BB: $10.00
UTG: $9.50
Hero (CO): $10.50
BTN: $12.15

Preflop: Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.45</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.60</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls $1.50, Hero folds

Can I call here preflop for set value?
Does it depend on my opponents if they are good TAGs, bad LAGs of donkeys? pls help
Old 07-31-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Can I call this for set value?

This situation to me is more preferable than the usual situation where villian raises and you call for set value. In that situation he may not connect with the flop and might not pay you off. Here, he likes his hand a lot (most probably premium pair) and barring a super-ugly flop that kills all the action, I think he'll definitely stack off if you hit your hand. So, if you call for set value in normal situations, then you *have* to call here.

Of course, the donkier the opponent the better.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 AM

against two opponents i think is profitable to call.
i don't call HU though.

if opponents are good TAGs or LAGs most probably you don't have the implied odds to justify a call.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:36 AM

vs. two people w/ full stacks its a call unless you don't think they'll pay you off when you hit
Old 07-31-2007, 04:43 AM

One of them will be paying u off. Calling is fine.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 AM

No, you don't have the odds and calling does depend on the opponant as if he is a good tag then he will have somewhat wide range so less likely to go broke as a lot of flops can miss him and a good tag is not going to go broke that often so you want to call more against donks.
In this hand even if he is worst player in the world it's a fold

Edit, already a caller, well that makes it a call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 AM

When faced with a PF call you could go through these thoughts:
<ul type="square">[*]How much do I have to call? This is pretty easy, just subtract what you have already put in from the amount of the raise. As soon as it's your turn you will also see the amount on your call button. This amount is important for the next step.
[*]Can I expect to make on average at least 10 times the amount I have to put in now if I hit my set? This is a rule of thumb, based on the maths in this thread. The answer depends on your opponents' stack sizes but also a lot on your reads. Not every player will blindly stack off when you hit your set. If there is only one opponent and he has barely 10x the amount behind you need to stack him every single time you hit your set, which is close to impossible. If he has 20x the amount behind you can stack him every second time and still be 10x on average. Use your judgement and don't be overly optimistic.
[*]How many players will be in the hand? More players to a flop mean more money in the pot so not only does this increase your pot size but it also makes the betting after the flop bigger, increasing your chance of getting your 10x payoff. Also it increases the chance of somebody making a second best hand.
[*]Am I closing the action? If there are people behind me who can raise again a call is much more dangerous.[/list]