Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 PM

Default NLTRN 33 - top pair 1st hand facing agro line

this is the 1st hand, so I have no reads, pf is super standard for me. I have to bet that flop right? but what should I do after his minraise?? thx

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t15/t30
2 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to t150</font>, Hero calls t70 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t185)</font>.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t300, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t185</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to t370</font>, Hero ??
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: NLTRN 33 - top pair 1st hand facing agro line

I shove over it, nothing good comes from calling here and you're ahead of their raising/calling range.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 PM

Use your positional advantage by checking the flop .

You will not get action unless you're beat (most of the time) given the preflop action so far . By checking , you gain more information by how he handles the turn .

Your reverse implied odds are not that good here . I probably fold against most, but as always , this is player dependent .
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM

First hand, these players are bad, I'm not sure if you are more EV to check behind and let him bluff at you x% of the time/value bet later on in the hand or by bet/shoving here.

My standard line is probably the former approach, but as played I think you see hands like mid PPs, A6/A3, naked overs, flush draws and even some worse tens/a stray six or three when you're ahead. Obviously you're going to be facing a range of hands that are solidly ahead a certain % of the time, but not enough to have me worried about shoving here.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Come to think of it , shoving probably is better but I still prefer checking this flop .

My thinking for checking is that he's more likely to lead out on the turn with worse hands than yours than he would call your flop bet with .
Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 PM

RATONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I would shove here. I think they usually show up with a draw but this board makes it difficult to tell which draw he is on. I would try to bet him out or at least make him pay to see it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM

My standard here is to call the bet and shove any turn.

Most villains won't give up the turn with any worse hand they have. So I give them some rope.

And I don't think it's bad to give them a cheap card because if you shove the flop you won't be called by many worse hands while most turns won't improve your opponent's hand or give you less action against T/x anyway.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 PM

If you could identify a narrower range against an opponent and what he might do if certain turn cards fall and what that means you might be ok to call this raise, but you're not going to be able to do that here.

And you get called by many, many worse hands.

It's a lot harder to play correctly against a random opponent you don't know if you bet/call rather than check behind.