Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Defending big blind with 3 card draws (2-7 3d)

The setting is a multitable tournament in 2-7 3d. The limits are fairly high, 300/600 and my stack is about 6000*.

The button-1 is a very aggressive player and he raises on my big blind. I have 2-4-2-x-x and even though this is of course not a hand I'd normally play I think it is worth defending my blind with it so I call the raise. I get lucky and get 2-3-4-7-x in the first draw. He draws two, so I bet. On my second draw I hit a 6, and he calls down two more bets letting me take home quite a big pot.

Now, the raiser gets really angry at me afterwards, saying that I am a donkey for calling a raise and drawing 3. Is he right? In cash game I always call one raise on the big blind with 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 2-7 and hope to improve quickly. Sometimes I will play 2-6, but usually not since I am in big enough trouble drawing 3 already. Is this a terrible play?

*It was a $22 WCOOP satellite. I ended up getting a seat to the $215 event, but I cashed it out in W$ because my 2-7 game is not that solid. Those turbo blinds really make it all ridiculous. You can't afford to lose two hands in a row.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Defending big blind with 3 card draws (2-7 3d)

Totally fine.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 PM

If button is very aggressive c/r round 2. Any very aggressive player will auto bet when he's a card ahead here. However, if you're at 300/600 in a turbo you must be close to the bubble. I'm not sure how much you want to gamble here in a satellite.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:47 PM

Especially in a tournament with high blinds, I would defend with all of the hands you mentioned, and maybe 2-6 if raiser is really agressive. I also agree with Iron81 and would c/r on round two.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:43 AM

You made the right play. It is mathematically sound with the hands you mentioned. (Actually, playing 2-6 here is kind of an interesting problem, and one I'm not qualified to answer, but maybe Mr. Gritter will be along to help us. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

As far as leading out on round two, if you did so expecting to get raised, it's fine. If not, then the C/R recommended by the other posters is better.

P.S. Completely off topic, but I just noticed that the latest edition of Firefox is checking my spelling. Why wasn't I told about this sooner? 2+2 hasn't had a spell checker in 5 years! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Completely off topic, but I just noticed that the latest edition of Firefox is checking my spelling. Why wasn't I told about this sooner? 2+2 hasn't had a spell checker in 5 years! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my "add to dictionary" button is getting more action than David Sklansky at a junior prom.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 AM

About the check-raise what happened is that he raised my bet and I re-raised, and he just called the re-raise.