Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Default 10/20 Live - 2 Hands

HAND #1 -

Villain joined the table 30 mins ago. He knows nothing about me and I've never played with him before. An interesting character, wearing black leather with steel fastenings, but new, like he just bought it and is wearing it for fashion, not because he's a biker. One of those shaved down heads with mini-mohawk, and the chin goatee with the extra long strip in the middle that hangs down an inch below his chin. What's that called? I can tell his pride sits down with him at the table.

Backstory: his first round at the table, he raises to $100 from EP. Two callers in front of me, I call from the BB w 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . Flop (410) is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . I check, he bets out 260, the other two fold. I insta-pop him to 640. He thinks about it, sneers and says "you don't have an A," then folds. I say, "well obviously you didn't either." He responds, "you're right or I would have put you all in."

Ok, now jump ahead to 20 mins later. Same villain (stack 3300 and I cover) raises from EP to 120. Button calls and I call from the BB w 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Flop (370) is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . I check, villain bets 260, button folds and I again insta-pop him to 680. He thinks for about ten seconds then goes AI. I call and he ends up mucking AA face up after I show my hand on the river.

I like the way I played my hand on the flop, particularly because I had just "picked" on him earlier. As well as for other obvious reasons to raise a set on the flop. But I got to thinking afterwards, what was villain supposed to do here? He can't reraise me for information because any reraise at this point is going to pot commit him with his 3300 stack. I also don't see how he can just fold here, folding AA here seems pretty weak. And if he just calls, then what is his plan for the turn and river? Also, if he did just call, what line do you guys like best for me to get the rest of his stack?

HAND # 2

Same game. Different villain who is obviously the weakest link at the table. He was getting pushed around the table horribly earlier on, and the same guy bluffed him out of about 4 decent sized pots. I saw him fold some ridiculous winning hands to large river bluffs. After losing about 4K without a showdown, he decides he's going to start calling everybody down. And he turns it around and wins about 5K. Several of the players at the table failed to adjust to his change and had continued to bluff and value bet him thin. This hand is really the first pot I've been in with him and he has about 6500 and I cover.

He raises pf to 140. I hadn't seen him raise hardly at all pf, and I decide to call on the button w Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . Flop (310) Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . He bets into me 260. I raise to 660, he calls. Turn (1630) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . He bets into me again 500, and I raise to 2000. He thought about it for quite a while and then folded. Afterwards I was kicking myself for blowing him off his hand. It seemed obvious that I should have just called here and let him bet into me again on the river. I guess I was caught up in the fact that he had been calling everybody down, and I also wanted to make the pot large enough so that he would be tempted to get it all in on the river. Anyone like my turn raise here? A smaller raise perhaps? Or is this an easy call only situation?

Thanks guys,

dB
Old 03-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Live - 2 Hands

hand 1: if he calls you obv just bet.

Hand 2 : call, if he bets the pot is big enough to shove, also you said alot of people have been bluff raising him big on river and hes started calling.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM

in the 22, you flopped a set vs AA, grats. money is generally supposed to go into the pot. it doesnt make someone particularly good or bad to get it in. (unless the c/r is incred nitty, then it makes them bad to go broke)
typically id just call the c/r w/ AA, since 9 3 2r is v dry and i dont want to push the c/r off a hand with likely 2 to 5 outs (say TT, 89, whatever)
Given the pf pot as well (nearly 400) and eff stack after (3k for the pot) there is not REALLY enough room to muck an OP.

for hand 2, it depends how deep you are. if you're so deep you need to raise to be able to push the river, you made the right move. esp. given his description, he's not folding a real hand here. when he calls the flop raise on this board, he normally has a "real hand" of some sort, or a marginal made hand (say 79) which probably isnt putting in too much more
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Hand one there is no getting away from AA they guy did nothing wrong. Hand 2 just call on turn and overbet shove river no matter what.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(unless the c/r is incred nitty, then it makes them bad to go broke)

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you clarify a bit? Are you saying if I were to check/min-raise here it would be appropriate for him to get away from the hand?

[ QUOTE ]

there is not REALLY enough room to muck an OP.

[/ QUOTE ]
So are you saying that AA will ALWAYS go to the felt here given these stacks against a stranger?

[ QUOTE ]

for hand 2, it depends how deep you are.

[/ QUOTE ]
He has 6500 and I cover, so?

Thanks to all so far for your thoughts,

dB
Old 03-12-2007, 12:09 AM

oh mannn. with the situation you decribed for hand 2 it is a must call on the turn(instead of raise). then if he makes a bet on the river you can push. even though the push on the river is a huge over bet (unless he bets huge on the river) but i think youd be suprised by what he might call you with out of frustration
Old 03-12-2007, 12:38 AM

you flopped 3 sets in a session? that hasn't happened to me since 2006.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 AM

hand 1 - something strassa talked about in an article someone linked to a while ago was that when someone does something the 'second time' they always have whatever they are representing, and most people play with this mindset, so strassa said he likes to bluff the second time...so i'm not saying he should just fold aa there, but it should at least be considered. and more importantly he should consider what type of range you are c/r'ing the flop with.

i think ur play is fine cause THIS GUY is obviously never folding an overpair, because a player like the one described imo is the type that doesn't believe you the second time for the wrong reasons. basically, he's not 1 level ahead, he's 2 levels behind.

hand 2 - given the way he changed his play i think you turn raise is fine, but maybe too big. i actually think not raising here would be quite a huge mistake.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM

shhhhhh just understanding that simple idea has helped me tournamment game a ton, it also helps with cash games but in terms of scrapping for small pots (and the 'small pots' are not small in tournaments) manipulating this idea is golden.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you flopped 3 sets in a session? that hasn't happened to me since 2002

[/ QUOTE ]