Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Getting tossed from a homegame for winning.

Some good suggestions.
A little background... These guys have known each other for a long time and it's not unusual to see them check down or mercy bet a nut hand to each other. I know two of the guys better than the others. We actually hang out away from the table. One of them is hurting financially so I usually soft play him and in turn he stays out of my way.
One other option that I was thinking of doing; bringing some guys that I work with to offer as a sacrifice. If I can bring some bad players to the game maybe that will satisfy some of them.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:41 PM

just quit the game. they play poker for fun, and you're just taking the fun from it..

I just couldn't still play at that spot..
Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just quit the game. they play poker for fun, and you're just taking the fun from it..

[/ QUOTE ] I almost shouldn't respond to this but for learning purposes I will. People play $10 tourneys for fun not $500 buy in cash games. These guys play 3 days a week with usually 4-5k in the game. There are a lot of things you can do for fun but poker is not one of them. Going on boat rides is fun or hanging out with your friends thats fun. At the poker table you're either playing just to win or you're playing to win money. Fun just happens to be part of the winning, even if its just winning 1 hand.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost shouldn't respond to this but for learning purposes I will. People play $10 tourneys for fun not $500 buy in cash games. These guys play 3 days a week with usually 4-5k in the game. There are a lot of things you can do for fun but poker is not one of them. Going on boat rides is fun or hanging out with your friends thats fun. At the poker table you're either playing just to win or you're playing to win money. Fun just happens to be part of the winning, even if its just winning 1 hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic post.

That's the hardest thing to make non-poker players understand about playing poker.

It's not about fun.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 PM

"At least you had fun" - civilians say this to me all the time.

It's not like playing poker isn't fun, but that's not the goal. The people who have no idea what they're doing, they're there for the fun and the experience. I'm there to come home with more money than I left with.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh noes! Teh funz!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People play $10 tourneys for fun not $500 buy in cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Thats the real point. Hes not playing with people that play every once in a while (unless they are extremely wealthy, in which case it doesnt matter anyway)
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I almost shouldn't respond to this but for learning purposes I will. People play $10 tourneys for fun not $500 buy in cash games. These guys play 3 days a week with usually 4-5k in the game. There are a lot of things you can do for fun but poker is not one of them. Going on boat rides is fun or hanging out with your friends thats fun. At the poker table you're either playing just to win or you're playing to win money. Fun just happens to be part of the winning, even if its just winning 1 hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post pretty much sums up why you're not welcome in the game anymore.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not about fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with having fun at poker? I've worked all sorts of jobs, and I've had fun at a lot of them. Money isn't everything. I've taken plenty of unpaid time off of work for the sake of fun. I've diverged from higher-paying career paths because of how un-fun they were. I play poker to win money, and I do win, but I also play to have fun. These concepts are not mutually exclusive, especially not at a home game. So what if the fun aspect is a little -EV financially? It's +EV sanity and long-term health.

What's the point of living a life of leisure if you forget about the leisure?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of them is hurting financially so I usually soft play him and in turn he stays out of my way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems a bit strange.