Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Want to gamble all in blind (M = 8)?

B&M tournament. At the first break I'm down to about 2500. Blinds will be 100/200 (20 min. levels). Average stack is around 6500 to 7000. While on break the big stack at the table offers to go all in blind with me on the first hand after the break. I don't know this guy, but he sounds sincere. I think he'll do it.

So first hand after the break, big stack (UTG+1) looks at me and calls the 200 big blind without looking at his cards. Several folds to me. There are five players to act after me (including the blinds) before the big stack has to act again. No one else at the table knows we have discussed this.

So do you push in blind or wuss out? Is it worth the gamble to double up? Just curious as to what others would do in this situation.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Want to gamble all in blind (M = 8)?

GAMBOOOOOOOOOOL

Do it
Old 10-21-2006, 01:32 PM

if you agreed already then for sure do it.

100-200 blinds arent terrible for your stack though, you dont need to gamblol this imo, but it isnt a bad deal. It depends on how deep they pay and how top heavy it is.

edit: oops I didnt realize there were 5 to act afterwards between you and big stack...no good then. Pushing blind into 5 people is a bad move all by itself even without the limper. This changes everything.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:32 PM

If you want a serious reply, don't do it. Here's why:

[ QUOTE ]
here are five players to act after me (including the blinds) before the big stack has to act again. No one else at the table knows we have discussed this.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of those players could have a hand that will look you up, and you might not even get your money in vs. the big stack. Aslo, you're not desperate enough with an M of 8 to be pushing any two. Look for a better spot.

Besides, not to be a nit, but isn't this borderline collusion?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 PM

Yeah I was concerned about the 5 to act after me, but this tourney was top heavy: $2,500 for 1st, $1,300 for 2nd, and only about $250 for 6th. There were 44 players left. Basically I had one orbit or so (our table was really slow) before the blinds went to 150/300 at which point I would be sucking wind without more chips. I had to decide whether the opportunity to double up (given all the risks) was worth it at the time. At some point survival for survival's sake isn't good enough.

I can see the potential issue of chip dumping in theory, but didn't consider this to be any form of collusion at the time. I can go all in with any two whenever. Besides, there were 5 to act after me that could have had AA or KK. Nobody was being squeezed in the middle. If anyone else has any thoughts on the collusion aspect, I'd like to hear them. I just don't see it here.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Play to win man--if you want to gamble go to the roulette wheel. Your M gives you some serious folding equity when you're first to enter the pot from late position. Pick a beter spot.