Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Dumbest cashier ever? (TR kinda-sorta)

[ QUOTE ]

So I make the cashier repeat "NO TOMATOES" back to me and then I check to make sure there are no tomatoes right at the window. If there are, I give it back and wait for another one with no tomatoes. Sometimes they ask me to pull over to a parking space so they can move the line, and I just say, "No thanks, I'll wait here."

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? That's nuts and insanely selfish.

You hold up the whole line because they screwed up your order (which happens all the time, that's why they're working in fast-food) and you can't figure out how to pick the tomatoes off yourself?

Doing something really obnoxious like this is also a pretty good way to piss-off someone enough that they will just spit on your special "No Tomatoes" order as well.

Screwing with the fast-food workers who probably don't give a crap about their job is seriously -EV in my opinion.
Unless you actually want to eat a snot or spit-burger.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 PM

One time I went to taco bell and I ordered really well--said everything I wanted in order, clearly, and specified all the options. The cashier thanked me for ordering well and even gave me free cinnamon crisps for being a very good orderer. It was weird (but awesome), but I just wanted to make the point that sometimes, rarely, you'll actually get recognized for a quality ordering technique (as opposed to questioned relentlessly by some moron who didn't listen the first time you ordered it, as is standard).
Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Screwing with the fast-food workers who probably don't give a crap about their job is seriously -EV in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. You have two choices when you don't like something that a fast-food employee does to you (provided that you have not already received your meal before complaining):

1) Leave
2) Complain to the manager and then leave.

Eating their food after complaining about their service is not an option. A good percentage of the time you will be lucky to be *only* getting bodily fluids included with your meal when they hand you your order. This applies no matter how much you are in the right and they are in the wrong. They will punish you regardless, just because they can.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So I make the cashier repeat "NO TOMATOES" back to me and then I check to make sure there are no tomatoes right at the window. If there are, I give it back and wait for another one with no tomatoes. Sometimes they ask me to pull over to a parking space so they can move the line, and I just say, "No thanks, I'll wait here."

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? That's nuts and insanely selfish.

You hold up the whole line because they screwed up your order (which happens all the time, that's why they're working in fast-food) and you can't figure out how to pick the tomatoes off yourself?

Doing something really obnoxious like this is also a pretty good way to piss-off someone enough that they will just spit on your special "No Tomatoes" order as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when I've agreed and pulled to the side, it takes freaking forever to get my corrected order. If I were inside the store and they screwed up my order, I'd go right back to the counter and ask for a new order. How is the drive thru different?

Plus, I told you I hate tomatoes, they're disgusting, and why should I have to pick those slimy disgusting things out of my food? Plus there's always seeds and tomato slime left over when I do. Yuck.

I realize most people like tomatoes but I can't stand them. I will never send back anything at a restaurant... except a salad with sliced tomatoes after I've ordered it without. Sorry, I just can't eat them.

Maybe I should just wad the wrong order up and hurl it at the food guys, baseball-style, like guids.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should just wad the wrong order up and hurl it at the food guys, baseball-style, like guids.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least that way you won't be ingesting a stranger's bodily fluids.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM

drew - I order Lettuce, Tomato and pickles on my wendy's burger all the time.
They get this correct probably 80-90% of the time I think.
Sometimes they slap cheese on it or goop mustard and ketchup, etc etc.

No biggie. I understand they are dishing out lots of burgers over and over pretty quickly and if they were super-sharp individuals they probably wouldn't be working fast-food.

I expect that the order might get screwed-up. Not the end of the world. I'm half-way down the street by the time I realize it anyway.

Throwing things at people or even just sitting there and holding up EVERYONE ELSE'S order is just weird imo.

I'm not kidding about people messing with your food after you get it back. You seem to dismiss this is even a possibility but I very much think it is.
If you're going to ask for them to remake it for you I would be as super-duper-ridiculously-polite as humanly possible.

The fact is, even if you're super-polite the fast-food people are still going to look at you just like I did:
He can't pick the tomatoes off the food himself?
He's really making us do this whole order again?

So realistically, no matter how insanely polite you are about it (and insisting on sitting there at the window definitely does not qualify) there is still a decent chance that one smart-alec back there will mess with your food just because they can and because they are bitter people working in a hot and greasy kitchen for 8 hour shifts while having to tolerate one whiny customer after another.

Somebody can very easily take out their frustrations on the customer who annoys them the most.
You probably want to do everything you can to make sure you are not that customer.

Yelling at cashiers at WalMart or something is just rude and unnecessary but at least it is unlikely they can really do anything to you.

Getting on the nerves of the PERSON HANDLING YOUR FOOD who also isn't making much money and has continually building frustrations and bitterness is just flat-out unwise.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Just pick off the tomatoes. Seriously, they don't leave a trail of slime and seeds everywhere, you're just making this up.

If you really think you could tell a burger that had a slice of tomato on it and had it picked off by taste, and that change of taste is enough to make you blow chunks, you should be living in a bubble.

Do what 99% of folks who don't like pickles do - pick them off. And pickles actually leave a taste signature behind.

[censored] people that have their pet "omgwtficanteatthatorillpuke" reaction to a certain food are so tedious.

Also, if you haven't figured out that the correct play is to say that you're allergic to tomatoes when you order, you need to work on your game.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:46 PM

I'll admit that my aversion to tomatoes is tedious. Probably the nittiest part of me, actually.

I also order stuff without pickles, but if I get pickles, I just throw them away. The "taste signature" doesn't bother me.

But I agree that the allergy thing is the right play, and I can't believe I haven't thought of this before.

Microbob, I do tend to not believe that people are constantly spitting or pissing on food in the fast food joints, but maybe they are. How many people have actually had this happen to them?

"They f*ck you at the drive thru..."
Old 07-09-2007, 05:01 PM

What everyone here is not considering is that cashiers have to put up with dumb questions all day, and as a result are forced to dumb down their language. (For instance the 12 dozen donut guy. I am sure the cashier hears that twenty times a day and needs to clarify.)

As far as making change goes, most cashiers are dumb, but I have brain cramped on change before. Thing is that when you are standing at a register your mind goes to another place, and as a result anything that involves any brain functions becomes exponentially harder to do.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Microbob, I do tend to not believe that people are constantly spitting or pissing on food in the fast food joints, but maybe they are. How many people have actually had this happen to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it happens all the time either.
But it only needs to be able to happen just the one time for me to a bit cautious about abusing people who are handling my food.

Same goes for other businesses where they can mess with you.

Most people at restaurants do not steal credit-card numbers when you hand it to them with the check.
Occasionally somebody will.

Just because it doesn't happen all the time doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I prefer to go through such situations trying not to gie them an incentive to spit in my food.
While most people won't do this of course, you practically seem to be begging for it.

Regarding how many people have had this happen to them:
Possible that many of the the times this happens go completely undetected, isn't it?
It doesn't have to be such a huge loogy that any idiot could see it.

Fast-food worker spits or sneezes on it just a little bit (enough not to notice). He gets satisfaction knowing that h'es F'ing with you and you don't even know it.

Seriously, you really think that workers at fast-food places are going to be the most professional and outstanding individuals in the world?

While they can't make change a lot of the time they aren't completely stupid in all facets of life. They can tell when somebody is looking down on them.