Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Guys who sit at 10/20 NLHE tables with 30-40k in front of them

I just don't really get it. I mean I understand there must be a reason that some places cap a max buyin at a no limit table, maybe so tourists won't feel overmatched at a table and will sit down. But I am seeing and hearing about some guys that go over to the Wynn and sit at the BIG no limit tables and buy in for 30 to 40k or more and just dominate the tables. To the point that (and maybe this is heresay, as I have not personally witnessed it) they spend 4-6 hours a day doing this and are essentially on 'easy street'. Driving porsches, etc.

I mean, perhaps this is overstated, but I have seen this a couple times and I wonder what the strategy is. I mean, you still have to win the hands, and you will still have bad days, etc. But these guys seem to literally dominate the tables. Seems like they just wait for some poor slob to walk in and think, "I can take these guys" and then they lose, and the sharks wait for the next poor slob.

I mean, is it just a super-aggressive game and a HUGE bankroll all that are needed to succeed at these stakes?

My common sense tells me there is more here than this, but I have seen these guys in action.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Guys who sit at 10/20 NLHE tables with 30-40k in front of them

they are pros, they are better than the other guys, they play deep because they want to have everyone covered since they are the better players. they have bad days like everyone but they still profit.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:40 AM

I mean, is it just a super-aggressive game and a HUGE bankroll all that are needed to succeed at these stakes?

There is speculation that that is a new idea for a poker book. "Winning at no limit poker with a huge bankroll and super aggressive tendencies."

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't really get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just really don't get what you don't really get.

Are you under the impression that a large stack has an inherent advantage? It doesn't.

All having a large stack does is it ensures that you are maximizing the others' mistakes when you get in ahead.

A poor player is not going to magically improve by buying in large.