Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 10:03 AM

Default ...And then I turned a flush draw

20/180 with about 30 left.
Blinds are 200/400 + 25
I'm top 10 in chips with around 10K.

I hate pre-flop, so disregard that decision. I had been card dead for a few orbits and got impatient. I'd like to hear comments on flop and turn play.

I'm UTG with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and make it 1200.

Villian is UTG+2 with 14K. He is brand new to the table. Villian calls without much thought.

Flop is QJ6 rainbow with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Hero?

Pot is 3225, so I make it 2000. Villian calls.

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero?

Explain what your line is based on possible actions by villian after you act and the range you put him on.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: ...And then I turned a flush draw

I know you realise that pre flop is disgusting but the problem is that the fact that its so poor has gotten us into a horrible, very tough to play situation where we could now end up risking our whole stack somewhere in this hand.

As played, I may continue to show strength on the flop to induce a fold like you did (your bets about right for this). Frankly to any resistance, I'm check calling/folding from here out depending on odds vilain gives me. Tough one as played.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: ...And then I turned a flush draw

If you bet again, the bet has to be a push. Pushing isn't terrible here because he'll fold sometimes, and the rest of the time you probably have at least 20% equity (and occasionally a lot more than 20%). Checking sucks because it's hard for you to call if he bets because any bet pot commits you. So either push or check and hope he checks behind.

I'd say Villain's range is a lot of Qx/Jx hands that he probably isn't folding. KT he might fold to a push, TT-77 is also in his range depending on how bad he is, but he'll usually fold those to a push. AA-JJ/66 are also in his range and obviously he's not folding any of those.

Personally, now that I got this far, I probably push. I'd be more inclined to push if Villain tanked a little before calling the flop, and more inclined to check if Villain instcalled the flop.
(P.S. Preflop makes me want to punch things)