Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 02:26 AM

Default Question on sportsmanship

I often find it rude when people challenge me to another game after they have just beaten me. I think the loser should be the one to issue the challenge because he is the one who has just been taken advantage of and therefore he should decide whether he would like to continue the game.
I know it's just an offer but I really get pissed. I'm wondering if this is the correct way to look at this?
Old 12-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Question on sportsmanship

No.

Here are some viable alternatives:

1 - Evaluate offer objectively. If you have an advantage accept. If you do not, reject.

2 - Look at this as an opportunity. If all it takes is this to rattle your game, take a good look at how you can build more emotional strength to be able to handle it. If accepting the offer toughens you up, accept the offer for that benefit (as long as you stay inside your bankroll). Begin to play with the notion of turning the tables by outwitting your villian in a verbal battle. You will get trounced at first. Accept this, and move through it.

3 - Rude? Why do you care if someone isn't socially polite, especially when they have a direct financial benefit from you getting more emotional. If they can add fuel to your tilting fire, this is a significant leak in your game. Plug it.

4- Stop being such an enormous pussy.

As you feel the defensive part of yourself rise to "protect" yourself from that comment, start accepting that this is the truth right now (otherwise it wouldn't bother you). Once you accept that this is where you are, then you can start to change it by dealing with that emotional "rise" logically instead of reactively.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:25 PM

say no to emo!
Old 12-02-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I often find it rude when people challenge me to another game after they have just beaten me. I think the loser should be the one to issue the challenge because he is the one who has just been taken advantage of...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? Did he slip something in your drink?
And are we even talking about poker?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No.

Here are some viable alternatives:

1 - Evaluate offer objectively. If you have an advantage accept. If you do not, reject.

2 - Look at this as an opportunity. If all it takes is this to rattle your game, take a good look at how you can build more emotional strength to be able to handle it. If accepting the offer toughens you up, accept the offer for that benefit (as long as you stay inside your bankroll). Begin to play with the notion of turning the tables by outwitting your villian in a verbal battle. You will get trounced at first. Accept this, and move through it.

3 - Rude? Why do you care if someone isn't socially polite, especially when they have a direct financial benefit from you getting more emotional. If they can add fuel to your tilting fire, this is a significant leak in your game. Plug it.

As you feel the defensive part of yourself rise to "protect" yourself from that comment, start accepting that this is the truth right now (otherwise it wouldn't bother you). Once you accept that this is where you are, then you can start to change it by dealing with that emotional "rise" logically instead of reactively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic post.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-03-2006, 04:15 AM

well, I guess I don't really mind in serious poker games since it is a bit of a blood sport ( i.e. u want to break someone when their down).
but if I was playing someone who I considered my friend I would not want them to take a buy-in off me and then just blankly offer a rematch. Something still rubs me the wrong way about that.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:33 AM

your original post said nothing about "friends." (and, even if it did...)

this response is a deflection, and it clearly demonstrates the underlying controlling emotional reaction that you are looking to overcome. you didn't flame back, so you're not hopeless/unsupportable. but it still shows you do not yet have the resilience you're going to need to overcome this leak. just admit the truth to yourself, we already see it here...

you "GUESS" you don't really mind? lying.

you're ignoring the lesson/opportunity here. if you're "seeking a higher level," then this is it. step up.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 AM

I think immediately avoiding a challenge after winning is horrible horrible sportsmanship. I always offer a rematch after beating somebody at the first game of something to just get to it and avoid giving the impression I'm done once I win. When I beat them twice in a row I don't usually offer a rematch since I think it starts becoming rude.

Any way you look at it, they're better things to be getting pissed about.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 PM

I think your friend looked at you and considered you easy money. He caught a fish and figured he would keep catching?