Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Poor Play w/A-A?---What Would You Do?

This is a B&M 2-5 NL Game.....

The night already sucked, and I was stuck about $800 at the time. I had Q-Q three times before this hand: won the blinds once ($7), lost to a river gutshot ($275), and in a cruel little twist of fate, was up against A-A, K-K the last time, though I was able to lay it down pre-flop before it got too crazy (-$150). Here's the hand in question:

Hero A-A

Behind 2 limpers, I make it $30 (standard), villain makes it $75, I raise to $150, villain calls. 2 players.

Pot ~ $300

Flop: As-Ts-7s

I think about this for a minute and decide I'd be happy taking it down right now, so I push (~$800 - villain has me covered). I figure if I'm up against Ks-Kx, Qs-Qx, or even Ad-Ks, I don't want to mess around and risk getting drawn out on. If villain has two spades already, then I'm going to pay him off.

Also, I figure I really can't size the bet in any way that denies his implied odds.

Villain folds and makes some smartass comment about me not knowing how to play what was obviously A-A. I don't show, don't reply, and drag the pot, a bird in the hand and all of that B.S.

What would you have done?
Old 11-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Poor Play w/A-A?---What Would You Do?

Reraise more on top of his reraise. Your reraise is horrible since you are letting him draw to set. You were deep stack right? What were stacks?

I would rather lead weak or check. Make it look like you have QQ/KK.

EDIT: I didn't see it was monotone board. Yeah pushing is good.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:35 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention a couple of things:

- I'm play with this guy frequently, and he is a decent LAG type. His min-raise has the familiar feel of trying to snap off a bluff, and I figure if he doesn't have K-K or Q-Q, he is going to lay it down to a re-raise. I have seen him make this play with air, and though he could flop a set, I'm hoping to get a little more out of him after a favorable flop. Against another player at the table, I would have re-raised. To answer your question, we both had ~$1000.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:23 PM

The post should be titled,

"Inside the mind of an old guy with a trucker hat at a B and M"