Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 09:37 PM

Default 100r hand against Bax.

Villain in the hand is JohnnyBax. He and I have a bit of history playing together, I think he respects my play but at the same time is frustrated that I have come out on top in most of our little spats. I view him as obviously a good player but honestly I think he has a bit of tourney donk-itis (AKA more prone to call with stronger hands even when he believes he is beat).

On to the hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t10697)
Button (t5545)
SB (t13470)
BB (t3970)
UTG (t1975)
gobbo (t24116)
MP1 (t21305)
MP2 (t10300)

Preflop: gobbo is UTG+1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">gobbo raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t500, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Obv.

Flop: (t1275) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t600</font>, gobbo calls t600.

His stack size is pretty much perfect for a bet/3bet here and I don't really want to gamble with a small flush draw at this point in the tournament.

Turn: (t2475) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t1200</font>, gobbo calls t1200.

This is definitely the key decision point in the hand. if I call here, my hand is still somewhat disguised but the pot is pretty small. If I raise a river bet after just calling here to put him allin, I'm pretty sure he can get away from it. But what I actually did gets paid off a lot more, and in this tournament with such a small field I really like chipping up with a larger probability of success. If I raise here however, he either stacks off to me or folds and I get barely anything out of it.

River: (t4875) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t2400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">gobbo raises to t4800</font>, SB calls t2400.

Given the turn action, I felt this was the best way to confuse him and get him to payoff basically with any hand he has here that's not complete air.

Final Pot: t14475

Thoughts? Questions?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: 100r hand against Bax.

I like how you played the hand... On the river theres a lot in the pot, I think he will call a bigger raise, so yeah I'd raise the river more... but its good to change the way you play hands like this every once in a while.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Minraises on the end always reak of trying to get paid off, but given your read I like it.

If he 3 bets the river are you folding?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM

I would just raise the turn when I hit, if hes leading into you like this, he's got a good hand so raise on the turn and then when he checks the river make a pot sized bet. He's probably leading into with either top two or a set since you raised in ep, he has to put you on either a big ace and is betting into you hoping you will raise. A raise on the turn could also represent that you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he might even three bet you where you can easily push all in over the top.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM

its funny

well known ppl who play a hand differently are just mixing it up, while a unknown player who does the same thing is called a donk

biased advice can be deadly, quit it
Old 08-14-2006, 10:18 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

i would raise the turn so u can push the river
Old 08-14-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its funny

well known ppl who play a hand differently are just mixing it up, while a unknown player who does the same thing is called a donk

biased advice can be deadly, quit it

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps that's because a lot of unknown players don't give their full reasoning for doing what they do?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM

I like it, i usually raise the turn but don't mind cold calling. I think you can raise more on the river and get paid off though.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it, i usually raise the turn but don't mind cold calling. I think you can raise more on the river and get paid off though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, im not sure a minraise is ideal and i think you miss out on same value.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:34 PM

If all you rate to make on the river is a single miniraise I don't think that justifies slowplaying the turn. If you were setting up a win of his whole stack, awesome, but since you're not I just raise the turn. After all, he doesn't have to automatically give you credit for the flush.