Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Cheap courses in San Diego?

I just moved back to San Diego for the school year and was hoping you guys could tell me some decent but cheap courses. Good twilight rates would be nice thats what I usually play anyway becasue of school.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Cheap courses in San Diego?

This post isn't getting much love and I've never lived there. However, I did spend substantial time playing junior golf there growing up and still go back from time to time.

What is your threshold of pain price-wise and what is your skill level? Also, what part of town? That would get you better recommendations. An easy one from my experience is Balboa Park, the muni north of downtown. I think it's in a sketchy area and it's only 5900 yards, but it has great elevation change and some really sweet views.

If you're looking for other cheap-ass courses, Presidio Hills in Old Town and Mission Bay are nearby alternatives.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 PM

I don't remember the name, but I think it was a muni in mission bay that was just amazing for only $20 or so...it was better than our $60 courses up here, IMO.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM

thanks for replies, I live in Clairemont Mesa, near La Jolla. Im not looking to pay anything more than $30 per round for now because of my low skill level. My parents got a full family membership to Moorpark Country Club this summer so when I was home I basically lived on the course. On a par 72 I shoot mid-high 80s right now... but Im constantly getting better.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 AM

how long before you get a residence card? My friend lives near there and says he used to pay an unbelievably low rate to play torrey pines. Something like $30 because it's a muni?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how long before you get a residence card? My friend lives near there and says he used to pay an unbelievably low rate to play torrey pines. Something like $30 because it's a muni?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a muni, I'm not sure what the rates are w/ it getting in shape for the open next year tho.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:14 AM

How do I go about getting my residence card? Never had one back at home but I know my dad and a few friends did...
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 AM

Residence card can be had by going to either Torrey or Balboa, show you drivers license or other evidence of your address, pay about $12, and you're good to go.

Haven't been playing recently but for residents Torrey North is about $30 on weekdays, a bit more on weekends. The South course is about $15 more than the North. Balboa is about $25 or so on weekdays. Balboa also has a 9-hole executive that is a bit cheaper. Coronado, a nice little muni, was $25 last time I played there. Chula Vista's muni is also around that much. Mission Bay Park GC is more like an executive course, and is also quite cheap.