Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Parenting tip for vegans: please feed the baby vital macronutrient

[ QUOTE ]
First, to be clear, I'm quoting from a book. I don't know much beyond what books and the internet tells me.

[ QUOTE ]
A sodium lining? You've GOT to be kidding me. Sodium is an ion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what is serosal sodium? The serosa is the outter lining of your stomach, so why do so many medical journals use the phrase serosal sodium? The same for mucosal sodium.

I couldn't find any docs that gave me all of the information I was looking for but I did find this:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../175/4027/1261

The title is: Activities of Sodium and Potassium Ions in Epithelial Cells of Small Intestine

The Epithelial cells produce a coating that protects the mucosa. The tile of that article says that there are Sodium ions in the epithelial cells.

Regarding ulcers, from what I could find, they are caused when your body can't protect your stomach from digesting itself.

Wether it be too much acid, not enough blood supply to your stomach, or if the helicobacter pylori bacteria causes impairment of your bodys defences.

[ QUOTE ]
It diffuses rapidly through all parts of your body. It can't form any kind of protective coating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right, and I never thought to even care until now. I wouldn't say that Stanley Burroughs is wrong in saying what he did because he is correct to an extent.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say:
The epithelial cells secrete a coating that protects the mucosa.
The secretion bonds to meat in your stomach the same way as it would to the mucosa. ? Or something like that...

[/ QUOTE ]

All cells in your body have sodium and potassium channels, ion exchangers, and a Na-K ATPase that actively pumps sodium out of your cells and potassium into them. These sorts of channels are essential to all the cells in your body.

Every single bodily fluid features a significant amount of sodium, from blood, to urine, to semen, to the snot in your nose, to the lining in your stomach.

The epithelial cells of your stomach secrete a protective mucous membrane that keeps them and the rest of the cells in your stomach safe from the acid and digestive enzymes of your stomach. It's a suspect claim at best as to whether or not portions of the mucous membrane are drifting off of your cells and wrapping up meat. If you can give me a citation from a scholarly journal (a web page by Stanley Burroughs set up to sell some product does NOT count as a scholarly journal), then we'll talk.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
more piling on namespace please!

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is simply that you can raise a healthly baby on a vegan diet.
The side point is that you can be more healthy by not eating meat.

However, I think we can all agree that the parents mentioned are idiots, vegan or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with your main point,

[/ QUOTE ]

3000 years ago, did mothers raise their infants on anything other than breast milk? I'm not a doctor, but I would be amazed if breast milk didn't contain ALL of the nutrients an infant needed.

[ QUOTE ]
and strongly with your side point.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A967948260

"Meat-eating societies, such as the United States, tend to have higher levels of cholesterol in their blood, and higher rates of coronary heart disease, than societies where people depend more heavily on plant foods."

Then it goes on:
"American vegetarians have been shown to have lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure than their meat-eating counterparts. And Italian researchers have shown that substituting soy protein for animal protein in the diets of people with high cholesterol levels can lower these levels even more than is possible with a prudent lowfat, low-cholesterol diet."

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, you really prove that fish is food for the brain.

comparing the typical US diet with any other one in teh world is retarded. Americans dont eat healthy, not because they eat meat, but beacause they eat crap, I dont understand how you can not see that correlation. I am probably about 1000 times more in shape and healthy than any vegan could achieve, and I eat tons of meat, but I eat the right kinds of food.

[/ QUOTE ]

The article says more than what I quoted though.

Here is another snippet:

"But until recently the direct health effects of eating meat had not been studied. Now, a team of medical researchers from Boston has shown that the addition of meat to the diet of vegetarians who rarely consumed other animal foods produced a rapid and significant increase in blood cholesterol levels. A smaller, but also significant, increase in blood pressure also occurred when meat was included in the vegetarians' diet."
Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Once you are below a certain level on cholesterol, there is little added benefit to lowering it even further. Same with blood pressure. I also have a feeling that in the quote you just stated, "significant" actually means "verifiably measurable", not "large". How about some actual numbers?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Cholesterol is not necessarily a bad thing, anyone with basic knowledge of nutrition knows this. You are 100% completely wrong on this, and Im not going through this whole debate for teh millionth time. You are trying to tell us the sky is purple.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"But until recently the direct health effects of eating meat had not been studied. Now, a team of medical researchers from Boston has shown that the addition of meat to the diet of vegetarians who rarely consumed other animal foods produced a rapid and significant increase in blood cholesterol levels. A smaller, but also significant, increase in blood pressure also occurred when meat was included in the vegetarians' diet."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how they added the meat to their diet - did they hide it under the spinach?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

total utter [censored]

it can be healthy, but its not the "most" healthy

a balanced diet including meat, other animal products is the most healthy for nearly everyone

[/ QUOTE ]

while that may be true, the average vegan is healthier than the average nonvegan

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt that's true, but it means absolutely nothing.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cholesterol is not necessarily a bad thing, anyone with basic knowledge of nutrition knows this. You are 100% completely wrong on this, and Im not going through this whole debate for teh millionth time. You are trying to tell us the sky is purple.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you google around you'll find lots of articles on this subject.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4662934.stm
"Previous work suggests regular meat eaters are significantly more likely to develop bowel cancer."

http://www.taxmeat.com/health.asp
"In The Scientific Basis of Vegetarianism, Dr. William Harris analyzes hundreds of studies and concludes that the evidence is irrefutable that eating meat leads to cardiovascular disease, various cancers, diabetes, osteoporosis, and other illnesses..."

Not to mention all the crap they load livestock up with, antibiotics, steroids, and who knows what else, is stuff that you eat that I'm pretty sure isn't healthy for you.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"In The Scientific Basis of Vegetarianism, Dr. William Harris analyzes hundreds of studies and concludes that the evidence is irrefutable that eating meat leads to cardiovascular disease, various cancers, diabetes, osteoporosis, and other illnesses..."

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is true, and consequential, then it should be pretty easy to show that vegetarians live longer than omnivores. Somehow, I've missed that headline.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:14 PM

find me a veggetarian that can do coke, drink booze, have an occasional cigarette, and lift 550+lbs off the ground, and maybe Ill consider debating with you a little more.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 PM

First, the story has nothing to do with vegans being bad and everything to do with the parents not breast-feeding and being general retards.

Second, exactly how much and what types of meat do you defenders think you're supposed to eat? Tell me and then I can probably tell you where you're wrong.