Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Suggested Lifting Programs for Distance Runners?

First off I'd like to say thanks to the contributors in this forum, this is my first post here but I've been a frequent lurker and this place has been a great resource.

Basically I'm looking for some advice about building a simple lifting program to add to my current running regimen which involves running six days a week for a total of around 30 miles a week. Ideally I'd like to cut down to running five days a week and lift twice a week. I've looked into the Rippetoe system but it seems like too much lifting for what I'm looking to do. Similarly I'm concerned that the soreness associated with that much lifting would ultimately hinder my running which would end up being counter productive.

I'd particularly like to hear what kind of lifting other distance runners are doing but any feedback is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Suggested Lifting Programs for Distance Runners?

Is your goal to improve your distance running, or is it to add muscle mass and counter the skinniness that distance running gives you?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your goal to improve your distance running, or is it to add muscle mass and counter the skinniness that distance running gives you?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the time being my primary goal would be to improve my distance running. I plan to start a more serious lifting program once it gets too cold to run outside, but for the time being I'm focusing on improving my running and cutting my body fat percentage from 12% to 9-10%.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 AM

Definitely want to do endurance training. Focus on lots of reps. Also, the most important thing for a runner is core strength, so make sure your lifting really works on the core.

Here is, IMO, a great workout for runners. Not sure if it's exactly a "lifting" program, but I think this would be your best bet:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...?articleid=486
Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 AM

i would like to note that i have been doing a lot of abs and high rep low weight deadlifts (due to gay apartment gym) and haven't been doing much running at all, and I ran today for the first time in a few weeks and could really tell a difference in my core strength. Even though I should've been sucking air, I felt like my core was stronger and I was running what I used to run fairly easily.