Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Resiliant internet connection?

Just wondering if anyone has advice (or can point me to a topic) which shows me how to set up a reliable internet connection.

Currently I have 6 Mbps broadband, going through a wireless Netgear DG834G router, which I share with two flatmates. The problem is that if one of my flatmates is making heavy use of the connection (downloading a large file / movie etc), it slows down massively for me, to such an extent that there big delays, I lose my connection to the poker site, get kicked off the table if I'm playing Ongame etc.

Is there any device or router that will stop any one user using over 90% of the bandwidth at a time?

Also, is there any "home" solution for connecting to multiple internet service providers in case my service provider temporarily has a problem?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Resiliant internet connection?

1) google "quality of service router"

2) google "load balancing router"

both issues are addressed in CTH forum. google the items listed above with the suffix "site:twoplustwo.com"
Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 PM

the dlink dgl4300 router has a "gaming" option that solves bandwidth problems like the one you have by controlling the bandwidth distribution. It's probably over $100.

As for the multiple ISPs, I find it difficult to rationalize paying an extra fee a month for something that's just a "backup" internet connection, unless you play hi stakes or it happens a lot. I would recommend, though, that you have two NICs in your system each plugged into a separate internet source with one simply disabled in windows. That way, if you know your connection's been crapped (in the middle of a tourney or whatever), you can just disable the faulty and enable the working internet connection and be back on within 30 seconds.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the multiple ISPs, I find it difficult to rationalize paying an extra fee a month for something that's just a "backup" internet connection, unless you play hi stakes or it happens a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it happens to a 5/10 buyin player once a year, and they lose a buyin as a result, that's $1k. that'll get you a damn good backup service.

clearly, a second service is +EV if you're playing at 3/6 NL or above.

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend, though, that you have two NICs in your system each plugged into a separate internet source with one simply disabled in windows. That way, if you know your connection's been crapped (in the middle of a tourney or whatever), you can just disable the faulty and enable the working internet connection and be back on within 30 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 seconds may be too long for some sites - the hand will time out, and you'll be folded.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:59 PM

OK, true that on the value. You can get a solid broadband connection for $20/mo anyway (since it's a backup, you don't need uber bandwidth or anything.. just DSL lite or whatever old people use these days)

By the way, my 30 seconds was just an estimate. It's all dependent on whether you can determine quickly enough if your internet connection has been gone and for you to go into your connection manager and enable the second connection.

I suppose you could get a program, or make a script, or whatever that would automatically detect the kind of activity that occurs when your internet connection is gone and automatically switch it. The time it would take would be however long it takes for your computer to get assigned an IP, which is typically like 5 seconds whenever I need to switch connections.

I really know little about the ins and outs of interweb technologies, so dont kill me on the details, but I'm sure you could probably get your downtime below a few seconds with that method. The other poster's stuff seems to be in better order though.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, my 30 seconds was just an estimate. It's all dependent on whether you can determine quickly enough if your internet connection has been gone and for you to go into your connection manager and enable the second connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

that's the problem.

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you could get a program, or make a script, or whatever that would automatically detect the kind of activity that occurs when your internet connection is gone and automatically switch it. The time it would take would be however long it takes for your computer to get assigned an IP, which is typically like 5 seconds whenever I need to switch connections.

[/ QUOTE ]

say, you could get like a load balancing router that did that sort of stuff instantly?

sometimes, there'll be other stuff that causes non-disconnection interference that'll sometimes increase the latency beyond the 5 second mark without a disconnect. if you're doing it with some sort of script on your pc, you have extra issues:

1) it only affects your PC, and not other devices connected to your network

2) your pc cpu may be used for other stuff

3) it'll take time to get your pc to switch connections

however, a load balancing router will do this and will do this as the OP wants perfectly & continuously. incidentally, it should be possible to restrict one of your connections (your backup) to only connect to a certain range of IP addresses, and thus have a dedicated backup only for poker that will cost you next to nothing.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 AM

Wow, I totally misunderstood. I thought you, JoseM, were OP. But you were the person who suggested the load balancing router.

No doubt I agree it's a good idea to go for that solution, I was just pitching a possibly cheaper alternative. I already solved my own problems by getting a router with all the fun stuff.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 AM

$US100 or so: load balancing router: http://shopper.cnet.com/routers/d-li...-31557797.html
Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Many thanks for the pointers.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Solution appears to be to get a LinkSys WRT54G router then upgrade the firmware from a site called Sveasoft, which will give you some QoS options.

I'm surprised there's not more on this topic, since a reliable internet connection must be crucial for anyone who takes online poker remotely seriously.