Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 AM

Default My 20 Stocks....Any thing I should change?

I started a Stock Fund last February that takes $1000 once a month out of my checking account for buying stocks(or parts of stock). I split it 5% on each of the following 20 stocks. I tried my best to forget about it and not worry with fluctuation.

Sirius Satellite
Microsoft
Wal-Mart
General Electric
Home Depot
Google
Starbucks
Apple Computers
Cisco Systems
Exxon Mobil
Disney
Pfizer
Johnson & Johnson
Intel
Ford
Delta Airlines
Bank of America
Coca Cola
Ebay

Now it is almost a year later any changes that I should make?

I am also looking to do the same with another $1000 a month with ETFs? Maybe 10% on 10? Any Suggestions?

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: My 20 Stocks....Any thing I should change?

you probably aren't going to get detailed analysis here (i certainly won't give you it) mostly because you could write a book about each one of these companies.

anyway, maybe this will help you find a couple candidates that you might want to investigate further.

Stocks I hate:
Sirius
Google
Starbucks
Cisco
Disney
Ford
Delta
Ebay
Apple (I liked it until today, its time to sell imo)

Stocks I like:
Bank of America
Intel
Coke
Microsoft

the rest i am either neutral on or don't know enough about to have much of an opinion. fwiw, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, i am not a stock guru by any means
Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 AM

Take this with a grain of salt as well.

20 Stocks seems like too many. Do you know anyone who got rich on their 20th or even their 7th best idea? (Shamelessly copied from WB)

Too much diversification really isn't a good thing- some is good, but you don't want to spread the troops so thin.

Here are my gut reactions to your picks:

NOT SO GOOD (SELL)
Sirius Satellite
Apple
Starbucks
Delta
Cisco
Ebay

Exxon --> You'd be crazy not to exchange this for Conoco Phillips (COP)

Disney --> growth prospects not exciting, too high p/E

Ford- As long as you realize that you may lose your entire investment I don't see a problem with this- there is a lot of upside potential here.

Google- Don't know

A lot of these stocks have really unpredictable earnings- and I think this creates more gamble than is necessary when
investing in the market. Also, you need to be careful not to pay too much for growth! The P/E ratios on some of these
companies probably aren't justified- research which ONE really might be, don't buy all of them!

COKE - don't mind holding, might not buy
JNJ - don't mind holding, might not buy
GE - don't mind holding, might not buy
PFE - don't mind holding, might not buy
BANK OF AMERICA - don't mind holding, might not buy. Would recommend (COF) Capital one Financial over this.

If you made me buy one of those today, it would be GE.

If I had to sell one of these today, it would be PFE because their earnings growth seems rather slow. I'm honestly not sure if they're about to come out with a new wonder drug- so don't quote me on this part! And I know how much America loves their drugs...

GOOD

WALMART <-- Recommend ( I actually recently purchased this stock) They have prescription drug plan things with generic tylonel for $4... (DIE PFE DIE!!!)

If you really want to be diworseified, and don't want to have to deal with stock nonsense, I have a recommendation that I also recently purchased some of:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BRK-B

Berkshire Hathaway.

Great company. Buy it, forget about it. They own tons of stuff... Insurance companies like General Re and GEICO... Jewelry,
Clothing, Furniture, NetJets, other crazy stuff i can't remember, Dairy Queen- man those are some good milk shakes.
- but Warren Buffet oversees the subsidiaries quite well. Just buy a share every time you can afford to set aside the 3600$ price tag. He has an impressive record. Don't want to bore you- if you haven't heard of this guy, wikipedia him when you got some time.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/

Read some of the annual reports.

I wouldn't recommend 20 stocks... Focus on your best 7 ideas for now, not your best 20. Especially if you're
investing 1,000$ at once. I usually buy anywhere from 2-5k at once, but only a few times a year to help save on commissions- which
may be painful to your bottom line if/when you go to sell off 20 different stocks.

Also please research any of the ideas I've given you before you consider buying them. It's important to do your own due diligence. I currently have positions in WMT, COP, and BRK-B that I mentioned in this post.

Man adderall is good stuff. Bye.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
20 Stocks seems like too many. Do you know anyone who got rich on their 20th or even their 7th best idea? (Shamelessly copied from WB)

Too much diversification really isn't a good thing- some is good, but you don't want to spread the troops so thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's crazy talk.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:50 AM

how is the $1000 distributed monthly? what kind of fees are you paying?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 PM

What were your results for the first year?

You told us your plan but didnt give us any results from year one.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 PM

almostbusto,

Can you please explain why you hate apple? I was thinking the opposite for apple. With all the new hype, i see big things from apple
Old 01-10-2007, 01:01 PM

yikes here... yikes!

1) 20 stocks is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. there is no way you can maintain that.

2) 'i tried my best to forget about it'... this is sooo bad when holding indiv stocks. you need to research these companies every week and see if they still hold value. i am not trying to be mean, but you clearly know nothing about these companies and therefore should not be investing in them.

3) you are putting 1000$ a month in 20 stocks? 50$/month in each stock?... what kind of commission are you paying there? if its 10$/trade then you are losing 200$ (20%!!!!!) of your investment right away.

it seems like you want to have a buy and hold strategy. buy stocks, forgot about them, then a few years later cash in on em... in this case i would look at ETFs. talk to your broker about them... there are a ton of ETFs, you can buy anywhere from 3-8 and hold on to them for the next few years. every few months you can add money to the ETFs when the commission fees arent eating up your investment.

good luck!

ryan
Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Delta as in Delta airlines? Their stock will be wiped out once they emerge from bankruptcy. Sell
Old 01-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Big Steve,

What led you to buy Sirius, Delta, and Ford?