View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

I'm here until 10 of may. No I'm not thai thai.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How you guys enjoying Sonkran?

This is my first time and I can't say it is all that great except for when I intend to go out and get soaked and have paste put all over my face, which isn't that often.

Yesterday I walked to get a pizza and some soda, a block from my apartment. I came back dripping wet with a soggy pizza and sticky, and pissed off.

My girlfriend said 'this is thailand, you are not in america, you cannot get mad, this is our culture'

wtf...

off to pattaya today w/ no camera or cell phone, an old pair of tennis shoes and a pocket full of 1,000 baht notes, should be a little funner.

have fun.

D

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never had a truck full of Songkraner's see you, yell FALANG!!!!!!! and turn their truck around JUST to get you?

If you don't like it, stay inside. Thais are all about sanuk.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 AM

hey, i'm trying to figure out the ferry schedules from Phuket to Phi Phi

I found this. http://www.phiphi.phuket.com/schedule.htm

But this make is sound like I have to come back on the same day/next day. I want to stay there for couple of days. Can someone help me figure this out?

I'm planning on just showing up. then finding a place to stay. will that be a problem? any tips?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 AM

In the link you provided, the ferries have a 1-way price that's half the return price, so I imagine you'd just do that. Or you could just come to Phuket, mouth the words "I want to go to Phi Phi" in a touristy area, and get mobbed by travel agents. I still haven't been, so maybe someone else can chime in with advice.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 PM

This thread is such a great guide.

I'm heading to Thailand over the summer for about two months (early June to late July), though I'm still yet to book my flight. I got quoted $1250 roundtrip from Columbus, OH by seemythailand. Does that seem about right? The fares early in the thread were like $700 roundtrip but I can't find that anywhere.

How's the weather June-July?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM

Bump,

I'm considering taking a 2-4 week vacation to Thailand sometime in Sept/Oct to check it out and see if I'd like to potentially move there sometime next year for a bit.

I'm searching through the thread, but what are some good web sites that rent furnished apartments in Bangkok by the week/month for reasonable rates? I am willing to pay for something nice though. Thinking a 1 bedroom in a modern building with modern furnishings and high-speed internet for $500-$1,000 per month.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm considering taking a 2-4 week vacation to Thailand sometime in Sept/Oct to check it out and see if I'd like to potentially move there sometime next year for a bit.

I'm searching through the thread, but what are some good web sites that rent furnished apartments in Bangkok by the week/month for reasonable rates? I am willing to pay for something nice though. Thinking a 1 bedroom in a modern building with modern furnishings and high-speed internet for $500-$1,000 per month.

[/ QUOTE ]
TheMetetron,
I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving to Bangkok in under two weeks and plan on finding an apartment when I get there. I'm willing to commit for 3 months max because I haven't decided if I want to stay in Thailand, continue on my travels, or travel for a few months and come back in the winter.

An option you might want to consider is staying in a decent hotel and working out a special rate for the two weeks or month you'll be here. As an example, the place we stayed in when we first came to Phuket was 500 baht/night but we were offered a rate of 4500 baht/month. This was a smaller place run by one guy and his family, so I don't think you would get a deal quite this good in bkk. You should get significant savings though, especially if you can get a Thai person to work out the deal for you.

Anything you find on the internet in English is going to be at an inflated price. That's not to say it will be a total ripoff, but you'll be paying more than you could. This is probably fine for what you're planning, but not ok if you wanted to stay long-term. $500-$1000 will get you a lot. Let me know if you find anything useful on the web.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
TheMetetron,
I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving to Bangkok in under two weeks and plan on finding an apartment when I get there. I'm willing to commit for 3 months max because I haven't decided if I want to stay in Thailand, continue on my travels, or travel for a few months and come back in the winter.

An option you might want to consider is staying in a decent hotel and working out a special rate for the two weeks or month you'll be here. As an example, the place we stayed in when we first came to Phuket was 500 baht/night but we were offered a rate of 4500 baht/month. This was a smaller place run by one guy and his family, so I don't think you would get a deal quite this good in bkk. You should get significant savings though, especially if you can get a Thai person to work out the deal for you.

Anything you find on the internet in English is going to be at an inflated price. That's not to say it will be a total ripoff, but you'll be paying more than you could. This is probably fine for what you're planning, but not ok if you wanted to stay long-term. $500-$1000 will get you a lot. Let me know if you find anything useful on the web.

[/ QUOTE ]

JESUS, i was looking at the net and everything was around 5k US a month AT THE MINIMUM. It was phenominal.

Is my best bet to find a thai speaking person to make the connection with a thai real estate agent or something?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump,

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out "Sukhamvit" Rd from Soi 7ish-25ish is a very nice area. the lower Sois (small roads) are "Nana" which is all hookers. Theres a really good apt finder at www.thaivisa.com

I've been living in Thailand (in the south mainly) for 6 months. Feel free to ask any other questions
Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
TheMetetron,

[/ QUOTE ]

JESUS, i was looking at the net and everything was around 5k US a month AT THE MINIMUM. It was phenominal.

Is my best bet to find a thai speaking person to make the connection with a thai real estate agent or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best answer is no. These folks will very likely just conspire to get more from you and chop it up. Involve as few people as possible in the process.

KJS
Closed Thread