Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Starting Limit holdem. My first move? (Crosspost)

[ QUOTE ]
$2k is a good bankroll for 3/6,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be more on the conservative side of BR management.

I'd want ot have at least 1000bb at a limit that I'm comfortable will support my lifestyle, plus a few months living expenses, and then everything after that point can be managed as aggressively as you like, I suppose.

With a 2k BR, I'd suggest saying at about 2/4 highest, and no kill games, lol. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 03:26 PM

do you want to play for a living or recreationally?

i cant say about playing for a living, but the worst downswing i've ever had is 100 BB (4/8 live) over about 6 months (brutal beats compounded by tilting/bad play etc), and I've been playing recreationally for about 2 1/2 years. i'd say for recreational, live poker, 300 BB is plenty.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant say about playing for a living, but the worst downswing i've ever had is 100 BB (4/8 live) over about 6 months (brutal beats compounded by tilting/bad play etc),

[/ QUOTE ]

6 months live, playing less than full time, lets say 20 hours a week, is 700 hands a week, is about 15-20K hands. That might be a normal month for an online player. Additionally, 4-8 live probably isn't as aggressive, or as tough as 2-4 online. Chinou's experience, is typical, though, because I probably have a 100BB downswing every month (I also have a week to 10 days of running sick good every month too). Just as an example, of the swings that can happen, this month a little over half gone, I am down $1300 on my pokerstars account, and ahead about $2000 on my Full tilt account. Anyway, if you are multitabling online, I think that you can expect that magnitude of swings almost every month.

Edited to include - my normal limit is 5-10, with about 40% shortahanded games.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:33 AM

100 bb is nothing, online at least
Old 04-19-2007, 02:02 AM

If I were you I'd read SSHE before I played a hand of limit. I wouldn't read stoxtrader's book until i had some hands under your belt, at least 20k.

As for limits i'd start of at something like 1/2, your bankroll is definetly big enough to start higher, but if these are your first hands of limit i'd get my feet wet with as little at stake as possible. I'd also feel okay about moving up to 2/4 or 3/6 more quickly, but with that i'd be willing to drop back to 1/2 if you run bad or find that you were just on a heater for your first few thousand hands.

best of luck.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 PM

yeh im going too play recreational.

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. ill post some hands around and ask sommore questions in the future.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to say becareful, becareful if you like playig no limit because imop once you start playing limit you'll never want to play no limit for cash again (the occasional tourny entices me).

[/ QUOTE ]

Until that first big downswing where nothing holds up for 20K hands... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b
Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you want to play for a living or recreationally?

i cant say about playing for a living, but the worst downswing i've ever had is 100 BB (4/8 live) over about 6 months (brutal beats compounded by tilting/bad play etc), and I've been playing recreationally for about 2 1/2 years. i'd say for recreational, live poker, 300 BB is plenty.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you're ready to move down if you lose 220bbs. I have a few live 200 BB downswings. They suck.

I'd say, for recreational + renewable source of BR due to a job, 300bbs is plenty.

b
Old 04-20-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
100 bb is nothing, online at least

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor is it much live.

b