Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 AM

Default NL200 6 max - 4 betting JJ UTG

Thoughts on my play here?

I've been watching Cardrunners videos and opened up my 3bet range a bit, though during this session I was running what I think is very tight (at least for me) at 16/13. Hadn't 3bet anyone that this villain saw.

Villain has only been at the table for about 20ish hands and I haven't seen him do anything crazy though he does seem to be involved in a lot of pots. His eventual stats I collect are 30/17 over 70 hands.

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP: $206.60
CO: $113.95
BTN: $204.50
SB: $298.95
BB: $73.65
Hero (UTG): $292.55

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $8</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $27</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $85</font>

Prior to opening up my 3bet or in this case 4bet range, I'd probably have just called his 3bet and then been playing JJ out of position. My thinking on the 4bet was if he shoved or calls and convinced me on the flop I'm behind I can get away from my hand easy enough. Bad thinking? Did the cardrunners videos get me all jacked up doing goofy stuff? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: NL200 6 max - 4 betting JJ UTG

eh, I don't like the 4-bet there because now you have to call a push and villain is going to have AK, AA, KK QQ- most of which beat you. I use to 4-bet a lot like this as well but you really have to pick your opponents to do this against and I don't think a guy running 30/17 over 70 hands is the one.

Try to pick out guys running 24/20 or something silly like that. You just really don't want to ever 4-bet and fold so unless you know their 3-betting and 5-bet push tendencies, I wouldn't try this too often.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 AM

I agree with Rolon. By planning to fold to a shove you are basically turning your JJ into 72o. Also, this is a bad spot to 4bet with JJ because of the reasons you already stated yourself. You were running very tight and raised from UTG. You don't have enough history to get crazy in a spot like this. A 30/17 villain (notice the gap between VPIP and PFR) will call a lot in position and usually won't 3bet all the time. Thus, his range is not as wide as the PFR might indicate at first sight.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 AM

So you think fold rather than 4bet it here? I def don't like JJ OOP for a 3bet I don't think...do I?

One bit of history between me and villian which I thought I had but couldn't locate originally for some reason but now have.

His first hand at table I was UTG with 10-10, raised, he called, flop come K-x-x (below 10) high check-check, turn 9 I bet he called. River K, I bet and he made a smallish raise and I folded but I felt like I had the best hand there - not really sure why I didn't call other than he had just sat down.

The JJ hand was just 6 hands later, next orbit me UTG again. My thought on the 4bet here was I thought he felt like I could be pushed around a bit much and he had just seen my raise UTG and wind up making a likely bad fold.

I'm actually shocked at some of the 3bet ranges I see - I just played a couple hours and I swear one guy was 3betting any PP. Somehow he was winning a good bit - with 51/25 stats. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One bit of history between me and villian which I thought I had but couldn't locate originally for some reason but now have.

His first hand at table I was UTG with 10-10, raised, he called, flop come K-x-x (below 10) high check-check, turn 9 I bet he called. River K, I bet and he made a smallish raise and I folded but I felt like I had the best hand there - not really sure why I didn't call other than he had just sat down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have bet the flop here.

[ QUOTE ]
So you think fold rather than 4bet it here? I def don't like JJ OOP for a 3bet I don't think...do I?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I would just call. You don't scare away every weaker hand this way. If you c/r a lowcard flop you will win a c-bet many times and might get called by a hand like TT or a draw etc.