Default Re: Simple TT preflop question.

I changed my mind looks like you should make it $125 preflop. :/

250/call here.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Raise every time obv
Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Personally I raise 88+ right here (for value), and occasionally 77 if I'm against a lot of nitty players where there is a good chance that I pick up their limps PF.

Anyone else go lower than that?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are WAAAAAAAAAAY ahead their ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time this is the only thing that matters is if you were allin preflop for that $75 raise
Old 10-01-2007, 04:29 PM

wooly:

stop wasting everyone's time. this is an easy raise. after the flop, you get to play 'poker'. which is a lot better than ultra-nitty set mining with the button and the 5th best pair in the game.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I raise 88+ right here (for value), and occasionally 77 if I'm against a lot of nitty players where there is a good chance that I pick up their limps PF.

Anyone else go lower than that?

[/ QUOTE ]

with 4 limpers in front i'm raising almost any two
Old 10-01-2007, 04:44 PM

This is live? Make it 100, flop an overpair vs. 3 players, ship it in
Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wooly:

stop wasting everyone's time. this is an easy raise. after the flop, you get to play 'poker'. which is a lot better than ultra-nitty set mining with the button and the 5th best pair in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a raise is obvious, but the amount of the raise is not obvious.

Why $75?

Why not $100 or $25?

What was his plan when he made the preflop raise, other than "I have the best hand, so I'll raise more than 10% of the effective stacks so that I'm pretty much pot-committed after any continuation bet..."

I think the raise was needlessly large. Despite his great position, live players love to limp/call hands like AQs and even A-rag and K-rag suited, then take top-pair and 2-pair too far post flop. So, in a multi-way, huge pot, after putting in over 10% of his stack, is he going to check behind on any flop with a J/Q/K/A on it? Or c-b for about 1/3 to 1/2 his stack? And then what? Fold to any resistance?

So, what was his target SPR and why? If he planned to play TT for value as a single pair, then getting a very low-SPR is good. So, if that was his plan, then maybe a big raise to $75 with a plan to get all in on most flops and/or turns was good.

But in a game where some of the live players might play top-pair weak kicker OOP like is was the nuts, maybe an SPR of 6-10 might have been better where he can win an uncontested pot on a cb that isn't pot-committing, but still have excellent implied odds to play for some guy's stack when/if he hits a set. That means a pot of $60-$100 might be better than the pot that he ended up building in the OP.

So why not raise to $20 expecting 5-players to the flop for a pot of ~100 and tentative plan to cb most safe flops (and when you hit a set) for $75 planning to fold to resistance with overcards on board, go for the felt with a set, but maybe check behind on many unsafe or suspicious flops.

I think raising less preflop to give himself more room post-flop for more than only 2 pot sized bets of play would have been better than raising to $75.

Raising to somewhere between $20 and $40 would have been much better than $75. He would still build a nice pot, still take it down on many cb's, but he'd have much more room to avoid being pot-committed with just one bet post-flop.

As played, bet-call-an-all-in is best. If he bets and gets called, then he should push any river if checked to and call any river if bet into. At that point, he's pretty much pot-stuck, and TT will be ahead often enough to get all in on just about any turn.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wooly:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a raise is obvious, but the amount of the raise is not obvious.

Why $75?

Why not $100 or $25?

What was his plan when he made the preflop raise, other than "I have the best hand, so I'll raise more than 10% of the effective stacks so that I'm pretty much pot-committed after any continuation bet..."

I think the raise was needlessly large. Despite his great position, live players love to limp/call hands like AQs and even A-rag and K-rag suited, then take top-pair and 2-pair too far post flop. So, in a multi-way, huge pot, after putting in over 10% of his stack, is he going to check behind on any flop with a J/Q/K/A on it? Or c-b for about 1/3 to 1/2 his stack? And then what? Fold to any resistance?

So, what was his target SPR and why? If he planned to play TT for value as a single pair, then getting a very low-SPR is good. So, if that was his plan, then maybe a big raise to $75 with a plan to get all in on most flops and/or turns was good.

But in a game where some of the live players might play top-pair weak kicker OOP like is was the nuts, maybe an SPR of 6-10 might have been better where he can win an uncontested pot on a cb that isn't pot-committing, but still have excellent implied odds to play for some guy's stack when/if he hits a set. That means a pot of $60-$100 might be better than the pot that he ended up building in the OP.

So why not raise to $20 expecting 5-players to the flop for a pot of ~100 and tentative plan to cb most safe flops (and when you hit a set) for $75 planning to fold to resistance with overcards on board, go for the felt with a set, but maybe check behind on many unsafe or suspicious flops.

I think raising less preflop to give himself more room post-flop for more than only 2 pot sized bets of play would have been better than raising to $75.

Raising to somewhere between $20 and $40 would have been much better than $75. He would still build a nice pot, still take it down on many cb's, but he'd have much more room to avoid being pot-committed with just one bet post-flop.

As played, bet-call-an-all-in is best. If he bets and gets called, then he should push any river if checked to and call any river if bet into. At that point, he's pretty much pot-stuck, and TT will be ahead often enough to get all in on just about any turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM

AM:

If dude raises to 40, ALL WILL CALL 100,000%, and then we'll have to play a 5+ way pot with TT ui 78% of the time. You will almost never get to cbet profitably.

The absolutely standard play here is to make it about pot preflop and betcall most flops.

Your application of inapplicable 2p2 literature is once again the direct opposite of the correct play. This is no knock against you, it only shows how completely inapplicable NL cash books are. Although, honestly, in this case im pretty sure NL t and p or PNL would say to psr pre and betcall flop.