Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM

Default preflop spot

i asked two experts about this spot and they disagree. what say you?

some background is necessary. utg is Lundy or Lindy or something like that. she is horrible. in the previous pot, she rivered a set of Ts after c/ring the preflop 3bettor on a J high flop. the 3bettor looked like he had a better hand until the river, at least based on his expression when she tabled her hand.

the 3bettor in that pot is some white dude in his late 20s who i initially assumed played OK, but then saw him overlimp T2s in MP. he seems prone to tilt (or at least getting a bit loose when stuck), and is clearly an idiot on some level.

UTG+1 is just some guy who probably is a breakeven player. his name escapes me. he is an idiot, but not a raging lunatic.

the hand:
commerce 1/2
Lundy raises UTG, UTG+1 3bets, folds to titlboy in the hijack and he cold-caps (this is the 3rd hand in a row that he has raised, but the others i didn't get to see what he had), CO (a pro who has been on TV and stuff) calls 4 cold, folds to me in the SB with black JJ. wtf?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Re: preflop spot

It seems to be a 4 bet cap which makes this an easy call.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't the fact that it is indeed a 4bet cap make it much more likely that the reason CO simply coldcalled is because he CAN'T cap?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 AM

You realize that unless everyone in the hand is full of crap, you are likely behind a bigger pair or will have to dodge at least two overcards. Furthermore, I assume that even if the flop is all rags, it will still be expensive to get through the flop and possilbe the turn, when all the while you may be drawing to two outs.

In fact, I'm curious as to how much different the decision making process would be for you if you held 88 instead?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't the fact that it is indeed a 4bet cap make it much more likely that the reason CO simply coldcalled is because he CAN'T cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it is a 4bet cap makes it an easy call because it is very cheap to see a flop...
Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You realize that unless everyone in the hand is full of crap, you are likely behind a bigger pair or will have to dodge at least two overcards. Furthermore, I assume that even if the flop is all rags, it will still be expensive to get through the flop and possilbe the turn, when all the while you may be drawing to two outs.

In fact, I'm curious as to how much different the decision making process would be for you if you held 88 instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine 88 is probably easier to play, lot less likely to be best hand. I'm calling and playing an overpair real carefully.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it is a 4bet cap makes it an easy call because it is very cheap to see a flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that paying 3.5 SB makes it "very cheap" to see the flop. Furthermore, if the BB folds, Bob is getting less than 4.5 to 1 to flop a set, if he is behind.

Of course, the overall issue is whether the bets he earns when he flops a set and wins or manages to have the best hand from start to finish are greater than the bets he is going to put in when he is behind and doesn't win.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very cheap? this is a joke, right?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it is a 4bet cap makes it an easy call because there isn't another option...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it is a 4bet cap makes it an easy call because there isn't another option...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you think CO has?