Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Anyone own a boat?

So I have been super inspired to play a ton of poker lately to hopefully make enough money to this Boston Whaler...

40hp, 13.3 feet, probably seats about 4, 13K so probably more like 15 when all is said and done

So I ask any boat owners or those who have owned a boat...

How often do you really use your boat? This would simply be a Newport Beach harbour cruiser (taking friends out and such) / weekend lake fishing trips type boat and I would hope to get out most weekends.

Is my level of enthusiasm towards to boat really going to last? Probably only a question I can answer but I think a lot of people might get the 'boating' bug and then lose it a year later.

Boats do actually retain their value pretty well right? So if I buy this boat tricked out for 15K I can probably sell it in 10 years for like 7.5K right?

Anything else anyone would like to comment about would be much appreciated...cant wait for the "LOL you are buying a dingy you loser" comments!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Anyone own a boat?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 AM

Nobody owns a boat.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda LOL I would be so BS - I am hopefully going to keep this in my mom's garage though ha!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:12 AM

I owned half a 23' sailboat for about 4 years. Between cost, slip fees, and improvements I probably paid about $10k. I went out on it 10-12 times maybe. Sold my half for $1k a few months ago. I can rent a hell of a boat for ~$1k/trip.

Problem is I never really learned to sail well enough to take it out w/o my partner, a licensed sea captain. Once he finally moved and sold his half I got out of mine as quick as I could.

Anyway to answer your question, yes your enthusiasm will almost certainly wane. Although you won't have the sailing issue, I imagine you will have wintering issues, maintenance issues, etc. But if you are already an avid fisherman and go to that lake anyway, what the hell? Life is short.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 AM

I grew up on Lake Michigan with family boats, friend's boats, etc. Lost of boats around. It's going to cost more than you think. A decent boat is truly a luxury. Do a lot of research before you jump in.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 AM

<--------- Sold it about a year ago. As soon as I get back to the coast I'll buy another.

I would look around before you buy a Whaler. They are very nice boats but for the same money you could get something much bigger and more functional if you buy used. A 13' boat is not really good for a whole lot.

I'm not familiar with Newport Harbor, but 4 people on that boat will not be a lot of fun for anyone, on any body of water. Look for a center console in the 20'-23' range at minimum.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look for a center console in the 20'-23' range at minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I want but it is sooo expensive and for whatever reason the used boat market out here in southern california blows. Then again I probably don't know where to look. boattraderonline.com and craigslist are the only sites I have really been looking on...everything that is used seems to be a piece of junk from 1978 for like 10K

I really just want something to cruise around in with a couple friends and go fishing with probably only one other person from time to time. No open ocean with the 13 footer obviously but I dont think I can afford something like a used whaler. I am going to go look at two used seemingly nice wellcrafts this weekend that are like 19 and 20 feet center consoles.

BTW are Wellcrafts good boats? I am really looking for reliability here. I have been told to stay away from Bayliner. Grady whites seem to be in the same arena as Whalers. Carolina skiff is good too right? Any more thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 AM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

I went with the mystery box. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 03:36 AM

my father in law has that almost exact same boat. the only diffrence was his was an inbrd motor. He really liked it, his father gave it to him, and we cleaned it up and gave it to his younger brother so he could take his kids out on it.

as long as you got room to store it at our house, it can be pretty cheap. My father in law has close to 40 boats, alot of them are for his buissness, but i could tell it hurt him to give that one away alittle.

resale on a boat has alot to do with where you live. And i cant be sure on this, but i would think that boats depreicate like cars do. Buy it now for 15 sell it in 10yrs for a grand...lol